Sudden 280mb date spike on chrome. why?!

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I have a nexus 5 phone that was sitting happily in my bag yesterday. However, when I took it out there was a 280mb data spike from Chrome. I have "lite" data enabled and have my applications and OS set to only update on wifi. I called koodo and they offered no suggestion on what might of caused this or how to prevent it from happening again, only said that it was very strange. Can someone help me??? As someone who uses roughly 300mb a MONTH I can't understand what happened and I don't want it to happen again. 
Photo of Lo McEwan

Lo McEwan

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 62,392 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you sure that it was indeed 280mb used on chrome and not some other application? Did you maybe accidentally download something from chrome? Take a look at your downloads tab and see if there is anything recent that has come through.
(Edited)
Photo of Lo McEwan

Lo McEwan

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi Allan,

I'm sure it was from Chrome. It was the third day of a new billing cycle and when when I go to data/app usage it says chrome is at 300mb and everything else is under 20mb. I just checked my downloads and there is nothing there. 
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 62,392 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There must have been some sort of video or video/ad heavy web page opened up that was running while you had your phone in your bag. I personally cant think of anything other reason but there may be one.
You can disable background usage for chrome and/or turn off your data when you aren't using it to prevent this next time.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,120 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Give the phone a reboot.  This could fix your issue as this is not a normal occurrence with chrome