Student Discount!

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
Many carriers offer some sort of student incentive or something free for students (eg. free evening and weekends calling).

Students have no money but need cell phones to stay in touch with our loved ones. At 30 $/month as your cheapest plan now, that's 406 $ a year spent on a cellphone for your basic phone plan. Students love to save money and this would be a great way to attract customers.
Photo of Raymond Lefebvre

Raymond Lefebvre

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'd love to see something like this. Maybe an SPC cross-promotion.
Photo of Crystal Lefebvre

Crystal Lefebvre

• 60 Points
Virgin does that, and honestly it didn't really help me out as a student. What would be freaking cool, is if koodo teamed up with universities/colleges, and somehow offered incentives for students with a certain GPA. For example, if I get an A in each of my classes, my monthly plan is capped at like $30 or something. Ahahahaha

Or even a student plan, like if you provide proof of enrolment in a university or college, you get a special deal on your plan and pay less for the same features as a non-student.

When I worked at Walmart we all got special phone deals offered from various companies. If they teamed up with walmart why can't they team up with schools? :) Us students are broke haha.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 103,604 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I already proposed this idea right here : http://community.koodomobile.com/kood...

Maybe if we can get enough +1's on it Koodo will start considering it.
Photo of Raymond Lefebvre

Raymond Lefebvre

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I think Koodo is doing great with customer service. They treat their customers as they should, like no other cell phone company does. However, I do believe since they brought their minimum plan up to 30 $ they should now be looking at other ways to attract customers. Doing this will attract customers that, once no longer in school, will remain with Koodo because they have had a pleasant experience.
Photo of Jorden

Jorden, Mobile Master

• 33,404 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
While I'm not disputing student incentives would be nice, but as a student myself I just want to say that students don't need a cell phone to stay in touch. Sure it's the most convienet option but most schools that I've been to do have free internet/computer labs, and then there's the really old school method of letters or landlines.

I would actually argue a student needs a computer more than a cell phone, which can help with the keeping in touch anyway.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 103,148 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nowdays I have seen 1 student that doesn' have a phone :P
Photo of Jorden

Jorden, Mobile Master

• 33,404 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yeah I'm not saying they don't/shouldn't have them. Just saying you could easily get by without one (thus it's not a need)
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,354 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I completely agree with Jorden its a luxury not a necessity, sometimes you have to learn to go without while trying to achieve something or better yourself such as schooling.
I dont think koodo should offer any discounts for students, Elderly, Military, or any other group of ppl as I don't see anyone being more special than anyone else and everyone should be treated the exact same.
Photo of John Lee

John Lee

• 36,724 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Student discounts would be awesome but Koodo already offers a lot of discounts usually.
Photo of alye

alye

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes Koodo does offer discounts, if you bring an unlocked phone in or buy the phone upfront Koodo gives you 10% off your monthly bill :) !
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,344 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Another option is trying prepaid.

If you just want unlimited texting, then it's $15/month, ($25 if you want local E/W free at 7) and then buy the 500 min Canada-wide booster (comes out to $.05/minute in Canada LD calls) for $25. The great thing about boosters is that as long as your base plan is maintained, they don't expire until you've used it all up.
I love this Idea. As a student with little money I'm always looking for deals on things. |If Koodo could do this I know a lot of friends who would switch without a moments thought.
Photo of Jonathan I

Moto G free on Tab S with $29 plan and $50 gift card for new acts at Mobile Shop? Hard to beat that for a student, to be honest with you. Sure it doesn't have data... so if you want, you can go up to $37, which is still "student pricing" as far as I'm concerned. And then there's always Koodo prepaid, which can be very effective if managed properly.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,354 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Koodo is already one of the most affordable and is the most recommended carrier in Canada so even without Koodo doing anything extra your friends should be looking to Koodo for their mobile service needs.
Photo of Jonathan I

I also completely forgot about the referral program... If you do it, both you and your friend who switches get a $25 Tab credit! Go to koodoreferral.com to get started :)
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
One of most-recommended carriers, yes, but Koodo's prices are closer to the least affordable plans in Canada rather than most affordable.
Photo of TheCanadian

TheCanadian

• 660 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Good idea.
Photo of Pierre

Pierre

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I totally agree and I posted a similar idea but no one has replied yet. Its funny no phoning company in Canada has a good offer for university and high school students! They exists all over Europe though and in the United States

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.