Spam Calls

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
Since singing up with Koodo Mobile, I have been getting various Spam/Telemarketer calls from different 416-802 numbers which are spoofed.  You cannot block the numbers because they always change.  You cannot call back the number because it goes to a human who doesn't know their number is being used to spoof the call.  I am getting sometimes 2 - 4 calls a day.  Some with audio some just hang-up.  I see others are reporting similar issues.  Am I going to always recieve these type of spam calls from your network?  Do you have anything running to prevent/block these legit spam calls from hitting your end users phones?  I never had this issue when I was with Bell Canada.
Photo of Nicholas

Nicholas

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,844 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Only thing you can do is change your number or wait for them to stop. I was getting them for a month or so then thry just stopped and haven't recived any more
Photo of Nicholas

Nicholas

I've had my number since the begging of time, I'd rather move to a better network that does something about the spam vs. let their users suffer though it.  They should be blocking the source network from sending the fake calls, its easy to do if they wanted to actually do something about it.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,920 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If they keep switching numbers (the spammers) then curious how it's easy to block them?
How long have you been getting these calls for now?
(Edited)
Photo of Nicholas

Nicholas

Well generally you'd be able to report the issue to your carrier.  They would trace the calls and see if it's all coming from the same source.  Then contact the far end carrier to let them know what is happening.  It's possible someone's PBX was hacked or a carrier is just allowing the spoofed calls to pass though their network.  It's actually very easy to trace calls the issue is there really is no way to get the ILECs to listen to the CLECs.  However sometimes you can reach out to the other carrier and sometimes someone will actually do something about it. For now, all I can do is answer the call get details about who they are and file a do not call list complaint.  The issue is when I can't answer they fill up my voicemail multiple times a day for the past 3 weeks.

Calls are all regaring:  Claim my business from "Google Authorized Agents".
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 94,320 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Personal experience is not statistical data. Just because you never got any with Bell doesnt mean that Bell customers in general don't get it at similar rates to Telus customers. You can hope round all you want but that won't change that.
Photo of Nicholas

Nicholas

You are right.  Maybe I'm just having bad luck, but I swear I never in my 12 years had a spam call like this on their network.  Maybe a few odd calls per year would come though, but not 2 - 4 a day from the same people trying to sell me Google Ads.
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 17,622 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I don't get how you figure it's the carriers fault. The spammers are calling a number. No matter what carrier you're with the call will still get to you. This is a problem everybody is dealing with. If it's so easy to fix as you say, why aren't they(all carriers) fixing it.
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 64,730 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If they are from countries/area codes that you can afford to block entirely, then try Mr. Number in the Google Play Store. You may be able to identify a pattern block that works for you.
Photo of Nicholas

Nicholas

I wish!  Unfortunately, these are from local area codes so that won't work. :(
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 37,910 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@Nicholas: there are new waves of spam calls recently as reported in cbc http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/cra-scam-text-email-phone-fraud-1.4494757

In that article, even the police said "do not call them" because of the volume of the spam calls. There were also several reported international other scams (fake Chinese embassy calls, long distance calls...).

I would try to block every single call from them as soon as I hear them.
(Edited)