signal problems

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Is it normal that when I go to make a call it says no signal and that its in emergency mode...it usually takes a minute and then it works....it doesn't happen all the time but it's happened at least 5 times since I've had the phone. I ve had it for 4 days... It's a refurbished LG G3
Photo of julie

julie

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 103,644 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Try this first before anything else: 
1) Shut down the phone. Open the back. Pull the battery (if easily accessible). Pull the sim card. 
2) Go have a coffee or watch something on TV (3-5 minutes).
3) If you want to be really productive, now would be a good time to change that screen protector that looks a little ratty around the edges. 
4) Re-assemble and re-start the phone. 

Let us know if this works for you or not. There are more steps we can suggest, but doing too much at once usually ends up complicating/obscuring things rather than being helpful.
Photo of julie

julie

Ok I will try that! Thanks!
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 61,788 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Check in Settings => About phone => Network => Signal strength. Depending on the version of Android you have, this value may be lurking in some other equivalent menu.

If you can't find this at all, you can download a Network Signal meter from the Playstore that will give you a good graphical interface. You can't rely on the signal bars, they are not precise enough.

A very strong signal would be -55 db and a weak borderline signal -100 dB.

If you have a consistently good signal but the problem persists, you may have a SIM issue.

If the signal is poor, it may be a local reception concern. This can be borne out if the signal is consistently higher somewhere else.

If the signal varies widely while you are not moving, there may be an issue with the electronics.
Photo of julie

julie

Just sitting at home it continually fluctuates between -95 to -71
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 61,788 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you got the handset just a few days ago, it should still be under warranty. This type of problem can disappear/reappear randomly. Best to get it fixed while it's not on your dime.
Photo of julie

julie

Ok thanks!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.