Should i wait for the new iphone or buy the 5 ? ( i have the 4 already since 2010)

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of Mama Sweive

Mama Sweive

• 70 Points

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jorden

Jorden, Mobile Master

• 33,404 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Depends. It's likely that the new phone will be out within the next 2-3 months (based off previous Apple time frames). Not much is known about what will be different. Personally I'd say if your phone is still working fine try to wait. For (likely) the same price as you'd pay right now for a 5, you'll get the new one.

At worst case scenario prices on the 5 should drop around the time the new one is announced/released so if you don't like the new one you should save some money.
Photo of Bob Smith

Bob Smith

• 1,492 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I would wait. The next one is only a few months away and you'll be kicking yourself if you buy one now when a few months is not long to wait.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,080 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have a 4 as well. I wanted to get a 5 but was disappointed so I'm waiting for the 5S and see what Apple does.

Also the google x-phone is suppose to come out around the same time.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 203,312 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If your not too invested into the Apple ecosystem (app store) then it's a perfect time to make the switch to Android, you could get the Nexus 4 which is built a lot like the iPhone 4 with glass on the front and back but it's much much more powerful so things work much quicker, and a larger 4.7" display & much more like many apps you pay for on iPhone are cheaper or free on Android plus you can download apps to get free music as opposed to paying. 99 cents or more per song. You'll be much happier I'm sure as there's much more than I mentioned, you should check it out as its ONLY $300 right now which depending where your tab is you could get for free on a medium Tab now. I just got one and I have the iPhone 4 and it's a huge upgrade from the iPhone, it's also better than the iPhone5 and almost as good as the Galaxy S4 which I have also & less than half the price, I'm extremely impressed with it.

If your completely set on getting an iPhone then I'd wait to see what Apple has in store as they are coming out with a few new models soon including a budget iPhone that's made out of plastic and comes in various colors. Nomatter what the next iPhone brings I'm sure it's not going to be much different than the 5 if Apple does what it usually does so again I'd check out the Nexus 4 or if you want the best phone out right now check out the Galaxy S4, I absolutely love my Galaxy S4 & can't find a single issue with it at all heck it's the perfect phone IMO hands down.
Photo of mattjs

mattjs

• 15,658 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Feel like this is turning into a 'let's try and make her switch to Android' thread, even though she's clearly just asking whether she should grab the iPhone 5 or hold off for now.

Anyways, my advice would be to do what your budget allows you to do. The next iPhone (5S) will be out in a few months (End of September/Early October?). If you can afford to do an upgrade then, that's probably your best bet. If you don't want to wait and you're looking for an upgrade, then sure, go for it now. Keep in mind though that the price of the iPhone 5 will most likely go down when the 5S comes out. Something to consider...
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 203,312 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Why wouldn't I let them know that they can get a much better phone for half the price, whether it be Android, iPhone, Blackberry or windows phone? I still answered their actual question as well letting them know there is more than 1 iPhone coming out soon.
Photo of mattjs

mattjs

• 15,658 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That's all opinion though, and while I agree their are 'better' phones out there, the OP wanted to know specifically about when she should upgrade her iPhone to another iPhone.

You didn't mention other manufacturers (Blackbery, Windows Phone, etc), you only mentioned Android. The OP never asked about Android or opinions on different options. We all know you love Android and while I agree it a great OS, the OP asked for opinions on a specific topic, and you wrote a paragraph about Android. It just feels like a sales pitch. You certainly answered her question, I just think it would have been more appropriate to stay on her specific topic instead of having the majority of the reply be focused on how incredible android is....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.