Self Serve App Update for Android – January 2017

• Article
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

*UPDATE - Feb. 2, 2017*:

Folks - version3.3.5.80 of the Koodo Self Serve Android app is now available in the Google Play store.

Usersshould now see:
  • Removalof permission asks (access to phone, GPS, camera, etc.)
  • Paymenterror issues fixed (i.e. “Error 25”)
As always - let us know if you encounter any problems or have questions that the Community can assist with.
Thanks for your patience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Through our latest mobile app update, we uncovered some issues that our Android customers weren't exactly happy about.

One in particular, that you were very vocal about sharing your opinions on, was the number of permission requirements. There was no malicious intent behind this change, but we understand why you may have found them to be excessive. We've heard you out and are making some changes in the upcoming weeks, which will include the removal of these permission asks.

In addition, we're also working to fix a bug that creates an error when attempting to make a payment from the app. This unfortunately didn’t show up in our testing and was only discovered once we launched. While we work on the fix, we would suggest to use our mobile site which is just as easy to use, has far more functionality, and it works! :)  We suggest you make a bookmark of it from your web browser on to your phone for easy access.

For all those that voiced their concern we do thank the feedback, no matter how harsh. This was on us, we screwed up, and it’s on us to fix it now.

We will provide an update here once we know when the changes will be implemented.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

• 28,708 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Tiz

Tiz

• 4,604 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Appreciated
Photo of Cliff Thomson

Cliff Thomson

• 60 Points
My self serve now wont work AT ALL and cant be re-installed. The CSR rep at my local kiosk says it is due to the upgrade. How do I get it reloaded??
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 75,560 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
What do you mean Clifton? Your self serve would continue to work even without an app. You would still be able to login to your account on your phone's browser or on a computer. I see you logged in today already. Are you asking about the app and how to reinstall? If yes, that's easy. Simply go to the 'playstore' on your Samsung phone and look for an app called Koodo Self Serve. Download it. Just bear in mind the payment feature currently isn't working. We are in the midst of fixing that. 
Photo of lisa wright

lisa wright

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It IS the Koodo self serve APP on my Samson neo 5 cell phone that had been downloaded from playstore that no longer works.... Soo I DID try accessing from my computer which I am also unable to access saying my password is incorrect...NOT!!! regardless, I tried resetting my pasword anyway but get the message that I have to use log into self serve to reset my password.... UMMMM I CANT ACCESS SELF SERVE!!!!  Was going to try disactivating the koodo app and reactivating it but get a msg that if I do THAT, i could loose other stuff.... HELP!!!!
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

Lisa, I would suggest to use the website for all things re your account not the app. Have you been able to recover your password? It doesn't require access to self serve to do that. 
Photo of Terry Parkin

Terry Parkin

• 72 Points
What do you mean a little harsh you asked for complete access to everyone s phone and files as well as the right to record them at will what a joke you don't need any of those rights to give account info and pay your bill
Photo of Tiz

Tiz

Just a thought. Why don't you go back to the old app? It was working pretty well for me.
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

New privacy and security regulation around payment is one reason. The other is that the vendor whose platform we use no longer supports the old version. What if we just stapled the app altogether? To be honest we don't have a lot of people using them ever since we introduced shock-free-data. Before customer had to check usage frequently, now you don't have to at all because we send you alerts and even stop data once you run out.
Photo of titaniumtux

titaniumtux

• 12,912 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
@Bernard: I am in favour of scrapping the app. The website is super easy and works fairly well on mobile browsers. I am also pleased to hear that the app will require fewer permissions. This is great news!
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 139,982 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
About the only advantage I see in the app is that the data it uses can be zero rated,which may not be possible with the mobile site. Not that either requires much data to begin with.
(Edited)
Photo of titaniumtux

titaniumtux

• 12,912 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
@Timo: touché, finally a (kind of trivial) advantage for using the app! If only Koodo could offer zero-rated data for music streaming like them folks at Vidéotron and T-Mobile USofA...
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

• 28,708 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
New version of Android app released - original post updated above.
Photo of Colin Kelley

Colin Kelley

• 60 Points
Just burned through half month of data in two hours. Nothing open but Google and this app. Anyone else suffer this problem?
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Unless something has changed recently, data used by the app is zero rated, meaning it doesn't count against your monthly usage. Therefore if your self serve shows that half your data has been used, it wasn't the app that did it.
Photo of Tiz

Tiz

It happened to .me in the past. After I obtain the new data allowance, half of it mysteriously disappeared. I spoke about it to a Koofo rep without satisfactory response.
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

The Koodo app is not the culprit Colin. When you say "just" I assume today. Looking at your account and the data use the big jump happened yesterday though.  There are lots of apps that could help tell you which app on your phone uses how much data. This is a popular one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&hl=en
Photo of Jocelyn Larocque

Jocelyn Larocque

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I cannot login using my android app too
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 56,526 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Jocelyn, do you happen to be on prepaid? The app is only available for customers with postpaid accounts.

Side Note: You guys are telling me that Tony Stark has a 100MB data plan?
(Edited)
Photo of dsjstc

dsjstc

I use a password manager. Not being able to paste into the password field in the self serve app means I have to use an insecure password that I can type. Are you intentionally anti-security?
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 56,526 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Copying and pasting a password puts the password onto your clipboard for anyone to go look at so actually, Koodo is very much for security.
Photo of dsjstc

dsjstc

Allan, the KeePass client I use clears the clipboard 30 seconds after clipboarding it.  It is much better than any other mechanism I've found for managing the 300+ passwords I have to deal with.  The IT department I manage did a literature review, and concluded that password managers are a necessary element of good security practise. 

I avoid services that go out of their way to prevent our security practices, and I advise my user-base to do so as well.
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

So use the website instead of the app. Problem solved.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.