Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505, will it work on Koodo?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Hi, I asked about it already and I thought I got it, but it looks like I might be missing something.
I have an opportunity to buy Galaxy S4 I9505 from Europe working on the T-Mobile. I checked specs of this phone and it appeared it is the world version of this phone and should work on Koodo. Just received the IMEI# of this phone, typed it on Koodo website to verify and message I got is :"your phone will NOT work on Koodo"
Hmmm? Is there any other way to verify that orI should just go with it and not get this phone???
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks!
Photo of Michael J

Michael J

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of MatB

MatB

• 32,478 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It should be an HSPA 850/1900 MHZ frequency
Photo of Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox

• 50,808 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That system is just as reliable as calling into Koodo
Photo of Michael J

Michael J

OK, Sorry me again. Appreciate your help so far.
So according to the specs I9505 have below frequency range:

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - all versions
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 - SGH-i337
LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600
LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 2100 - SGH-i337

Mat Badger said HSPA 850/1900. Is HSDPA & HSPA the same or is it 2 different things?

Still not sure why website says it will not work?

Thank You
Photo of MatB

MatB

• 32,478 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You got what it needs: HSPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
Photo of Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox

• 50,808 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I guess the only way to find out is by getting a Koodo sim. If it doesn't work then you can get ur money back. There is no guarantee it will work. Good Luck :)
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 202,996 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If it's a T-Mobile model then it's not the international model, all international models come unlocked and are never tied to a carrier.
The international unlocked model also doesn't have LTE and runs the OCTA core processor, the one your looking at runs the quad core snapdragon 600 processor
The one your looking at is exactly the same as the one Koodo sells but is missing some of the features that the Koodo model has.
If it's the same price as the Koodo one your better off to get the Koodo one which will come with a full guarantee and those extra features.
Photo of Michael J

Michael J

But it is not locked. I mean no Sim Lock. I am not too sure what processor it runs. All I know is it's I9505. I also have EMEI# now. Is there any way for me to check that?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 202,866 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If it's not locked then the person got it unlocked because like I said all carrier branded models of any phone is locked to that carrier. The only phones that are factory unlocked are international versions of phones or Nexus Android phones.

Why are you going to buy a S4 for somewhere else and not just get it from Koodo, are you getting it cheaper? Does it have a warranty where your buying it or is it a private sale?
Just wondering because you are unsure what your getting and I'd love to help prevent you from getting screwed in a bad deal.
Photo of Michael J

Michael J

Yes, so the deal is that someone that I know is getting a hardware upgrade and I can get brand new phone with warranty (European) for a little over $100. Deal I can't even dream about here. I guess I will just need to go for it and find out later. If it doesn't work with Koodo, I can sell and buy something else. Thanks for the help
Photo of MykeC

MykeC

• 20,174 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey michael, you can use this linke (http://koodomobile.com/en/on/switch2k...) to test the IMEI to see if it'll be accepted. Keep in mind that just because it's unlocked, it won't necessarily be accepted by the system. I've seen devices that have been approved to work on our system and then not work because of a difference in frequency. The only real way to know for sure is by trying a sim card in the phone.

Alternately, you can get it through us ;).

@Paul: you're. I couldn't resist.

• 202,866 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
lol ya I'm bad for writing quick and not using proper English plus auto correct doesn't seem to help me lol.
Photo of Michael J

Michael J

Hi, Yes I have checked that link. It says it will not work on Koodo, but I am looking for ways to verify, as it seems like I9505 (which it is) should work. Thanks!
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 202,996 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Turns out another poster posted a question just now saying that everything is working with that model except LTE. I don't know if he's in an LTE coverage area but it does mean that the model your acquiring about will work on HSDPA bands
Photo of Michael J

Michael J

Hi Paul, yes I just saw that post. I am in LTE zone. Do you think 4G will work?
Photo of Jorden

Jorden, Mobile Master

• 33,404 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
No this phone will not work with Koodo LTE. You would need the AT&T model if ordering one from the states (and that one is the same as the one Koodo sells).
Photo of Michael J

Michael J

It is from Europe. But according to the specs from http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?... this phone supports LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600
LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 2100 - SGH-i337
Isn't it within Koodo's frequency range for LTE? 1700/2100 correct?
Photo of Jorden

Jorden, Mobile Master

• 33,404 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That says the SGH-i337 supports Koodos LTE. Not the i9505
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,228 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
i9505 - S4 - UK.

I don't see the 1700 MHz frequency in the 4G LTE Cat 3 list. HSPA+ should work. Koodo doesn't operate on a 2G network.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.