Samsung galaxy s2x (SHG-T989D) jelly bean update

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Samsung galaxy s2x (SHG-T989D) jelly bean update coming soon?
Photo of Stevon Matthews

Stevon Matthews

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,344 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes. Soon. Just keep waiting. It keeps being pushed back. Hopefully by end of April or early May.
Photo of Stevon Matthews

Stevon Matthews

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hopefully, do
you know why it keeps getting pushed back?
Photo of Brian Norton

Brian Norton

• 1,146 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Nobody truly knows. It will come when it comes. Read the hundred other posts on the subject.
Photo of MykeC

MykeC

• 20,174 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Stevon, it would be best to ask Samsung since they control the updates and when they are released. We don't usually have information relating to software updates.

If while trying to upgrade it fails with an error message saying "unable to close tray agent reboot pc" open task mangr while having the kies s/w running end three process's - kies pdlr, kies tray agent, & kies air. Now try the upgrade it should work
Enjoy the JB ROM with a lot of cool features.
thanks, Fahad
Photo of Prajna Surya

Prajna Surya

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Mohammed Yousuf said "Connect your devices via kies to make sure. "

The trouble is: My SIIX has never been able to connect to Kies since day 1, always showing the error "Device not supported by Kies 2.0". Not only that, on the Phone Status screen, the "Check for Update" option is missing. So, unless the update is going to be OTA, I am not sure how I can get it!

Am I the only poor soul having this problem? Any help?
Photo of Raymond Shpeley

Raymond Shpeley

• 60 Points
Yeah right. I have the same problem. Kies hasn't worked since I got my phone. Got the latest software, drivers say they install ok, but Kies still won't recognize my phone. I've been waiting for this update since it was promised. This is a major issue.
Photo of Prajna Surya

Prajna Surya

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Raymond:
Being in the same boat, I take it you has not gotten an OTA Jelly Bean download either?
Photo of Nick Trueman

Nick Trueman

• 60 Points
mines the same...when you go to about phone no 'check for update' option. it recognizes via Keis but when I try to download firmware update it gets to 100% then kies just closes lmao this is retarded, even tried the odin method listed below and it wont work for me either..
Photo of charlon bruner

charlon bruner

• 60 Points
I tried both ways too and neither works.  Now I have a factory reset phone and am non too happy about it!!!
Photo of Paul Laplante

Paul Laplante

• 70 Points
I was having the same problems and not even able to get Kies to work but the rikkster workaround using Odin worked great but the phone now boots up with a Telus screen and not Koodo anymore. My phone even connects to Kies now. Sorry to hear you are having problems. Koodo and Samsung should have a workable solution to this so you don't have to use Kies.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 67,080 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ok, the workaround is to download Odin, and the firmware from SamMobile (you'll need to register first before you can download). Fill in the boxes: smartphone > Android > SGH-T989D > Canada - KDO. Scroll down and select version 4.1.2. It looks shaded, tap on it anyway, it will download.

SamMobile link.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/

Link to Odin - click where it says Odin (v3.07) is HERE, to download Odin.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showt...

Before going any further, backup any data, contacts, music, pictures, etc., this procedure will wipe everything.

Unzip, setup and start Odin.
Unzip the S2x firmware and locate the file with an .md5 extension.
Factory reset and power down your S2x.

Put your S2x in Odin or Download Mode by holding both the Volume Down key and Power button. Let go of the Power button when you feel a slight vibration, but keep holding the Volume down key until a Warning screen appears. Press the Volume Up key to continue. Now your in download mode.

With Odin open on your screen, connect the S2x via usb cable.
In Odin, click on PDA, (this should take you to your download folder).
Locate and click on the file with the .md5 extension.
Click Start and wait until you see a green bar and PASS in the first column of Odin.
Takes a few minutes so be patient.

Let the device boot itself. If the device hangs in a boot-loop where you only see the Galaxy S2 logo, power down the S2x. Press and hold the Up/Down Volume keys and the Power button together. When you feel a slight vibration, let go of the Power button but continue to hold the Up/Down Volume keys until you see the Android Recovery utility menu.

Using the Volume Up/Down keys, scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and use the Power button to select. When finished, select "reboot system now".

If you have the latest version of Kies, all the necessary drivers are included.

You should now have Jellybean 4.1.2 installed on your S2x.
Photo of Navod Chen Lee

Navod Chen Lee

• 70 Points
"Unzip the S2x firmware and locate the file with an .md5 extension."

I dont understand this part....Pls help..thanks
Photo of Navod Chen Lee

Navod Chen Lee

• 70 Points
I understood thanks its working...Thank you very much!!!
Photo of Paul Laplante

Paul Laplante

• 60 Points
Thanks so much for this information, I have been going nuts trying to get my SX2 working with Kies to update, your work around worked great, Thanks
Photo of Doug S.

Doug S.

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
hey Rickster: thanks so much for posting this info. I tried and tried and no way would my g2x connect to kies. I did the update using odin and the md5 file and it worked flawless. Now for some unknown reason my g2x connects to kies??? very buggy software, works when it wants to.
cheers,
Doug
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 67,080 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You're welcome Doug and Kies can be a pain even at the best of times. Glad to hear you got your G2x up and running!
I did the upgrade but my phone is very slow since... I have to wait when I wrothe a text message because the phone is not able anymore to follow me. Before the upgrade it was working so well...
Photo of mattjs

mattjs

• 15,658 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I just upgraded to 4.2.2............on my Blackberry. My Android apps fly right now. It would be interesting to do a performance comparison against a mid & high level android device. Ah, the joy of being able to run an OS inside of an OS.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 66,890 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
4.2.2 Jelly BBean...
Photo of Francois Lachance

Francois Lachance

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have sgh-t989d and since the upgrade I can't access the koodo network
Photo of Gilles Frenette

Gilles Frenette

• 60 Points
I also lost, 2 months ago, access to koodo account App , but just for the utilisation tab.
I am still on ICS.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Hi, try updating or re-installing the app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...

Francois Lachance

It's a Telus phone that I unlock
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

You may have to create an APN for the device.

Go to: Settings > More settings > Mobile networks > Access point names - tap the Menu softkey (far lower left button on the S2x) and tap New APN when the small menu appears. Use the APN table below to create the new APN. Telus and Koodo's APN's are almost identical, other than the MMSC url and the APN header, which might show up as Telus.

Do not put any spaces in the MMSC url, the space is there because the url gets cut off and doesn't display correctly and should read (http://aliasredirect).

If present, delete the Telus APN or make the Koodo APN the default APN to use.

APN: sp.koodo.com
Proxy server: 74.49.0.18
Port: 80
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http ://aliasredirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc
Proxy server: 74.49.0.18
Port: 80
MCC : 302
MNC : 220
APN type :

Francois Lachance

Thank you
As tu recréer ton apn pour celui de koodo?

Francois Lachance

Euh, j'imagine que non puisque je ne suis pas comment faire. Peux-tu montre guider? Merci
http://koodomobile.com/fr/on/switch2k...

Ce sont les etapes pour creer ton apn. Si cela ne fonctionne pas je te suggererais d'appeler le soutien technique.
Photo of G

G

Upgraded through KIES, lots of bugs. The problems I am having are:
-the Media Scanner running (slows phone down, kills battery, phone keeps vibrating)
-WIZ home crashes when moving app icons around (then opens every recent app, yes, every single one of them)
-JB doesn't allow you to manually select search automatically for mobile network, which it takes you forever to find your network, unlike ICS
-Using the default Gallery is just simply pain, doesn't allow you to refresh as well
-Keyboard sometimes freezes during calls, I can't slide to answer cause the keyboard is obstructing me

In conclusion, looked fancier, some stuff are smoother, but I'm the type of user that needs the phone to call people and be able to read my documents. Killing my battery for looks while without being able to reach someone due to a structural failure is unacceptable.

Even if you're a noob, and even you're not upgrading to JB, I personally suggest not to get S2X, it's hard to find the right solutions nor it will worth the time to solve the problems. Once you pay $$ no one cares about you, absolutely insufficient support, and we're not even 8mths away but longer from catching up with the usual market versions, not to mention the phone came in with so much problems.
Photo of G

G

I just realized I read your posts this morning! I wasn't sure about if I can install the T989 ROOT onto T989d, and I was going to ask a question there, haha!! Thank you so much!! Off to try it now!!
Photo of G

G

My solution: Used Odin v3.09, passed.

=======

Sorry to bother again, rikkster, I am facing a problem with Odin. I believe I followed your procedures, however the flash failed, now my phone shows "firmware upgrade encountered an issue..."

Here's the message from Odin:

Added!!
Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
File analysis..
SetupConnection..
Initialzation..
Get PIT for mapping..
Firmware update start..
recovery.img
Complete(Write) operation failed.
All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Any suggestion?
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

No bother at all. Couple of things to check, did you enable USB debugging on the S2x? Settings > Developer options - checkmark USB debugging. I've had better luck with Odin version 1.85, the link below will download the software when you click on it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attac...
Photo of G

G

I'm now running a smooth CM11. Spent good amount of time... lol. As a review, I wasn't able to flash TWDP with Odin v1. 85, just so happened to me that v3 worked. Happy New Year rikkster, I dont know u but I thank you for this New Year gift!

A point I want to share from my experience to other boob users like me is that Power+VolDown = Odin mode (also called Download mode in some sites). To get to Recovery Mode is VolUp+VolDown+Power. This is for Hercules, also called T989d, a S2X bought from koodo.

First installation was successful but lots of bugs (no format). Then tried format & clean install. So far so good. It doesnt come with have Google apps including google play or gmail or contacts so just a note to other users that you have to install a gapp zip from Recovery mode, after transferring it to ur phone or sd card.

Happy New Year! Get bbaptised by rooting now lol, my phone is already 2 times faster than the time I bought this phone!
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Congratulations and Happy New Year G! Only other thing I would suggest is a NAND backup, if you haven't already done so.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.