Samsung pay on the A5

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
Google play says Samsung pay not compatible with my device. Can't find it on the samsung app store either. What gives? A5 should support Samsung pay.
Photo of Jeff Cunningham

Jeff Cunningham

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • confused.....

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 59,194 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Is your phone upgraded to Android 7.0? Also which year of the A5 do you have?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,682 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No the Galaxy A5 2017 is only running 6.0.1 right now. I believe Samsung pay works with that version however so it's weird it's saying it's not compatible. I'll try downloading it on my wife's A5 2017 when she gets home and let you Guys know whats up.
(Edited)
Photo of Jeff Cunningham

Jeff Cunningham

A5 2017. So weird that it doesn't show up. Android pay works fine.
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 59,194 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Their website says it supports: "Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+, Galaxy A5, Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, and Galaxy Note 5 devices."
It could be possible that only the A5's running Android 7.0 can use it as they are just rolling out the update to the unlocked A5's.
I would contact Samsung at this point and see if they can help you out.
(Edited)
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 105,100 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried the alternative Android Pay? It does support more cards then Samsung
Photo of Jeff Cunningham

Jeff Cunningham

Yeah, I have android pay right now. I was hoping to compare the 2 apps. There is apparently an added security measure with Samsung pay as well.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Does the A5 have NFC? That might be a reason it's not available for the device.
Photo of Jeff Cunningham

Jeff Cunningham

Yep. Android pay works fine.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,682 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ok just checked both app stores and it doesn't show up on either when searching with the A5. I'm thinking it's indeed not compatible because it doesn't have the mag stripe detection built into the A5 which is needed for Samsung pay.

There is however a different version of Samsung pay that will work on any phone that's called Samsung pay mini which works on tap terminals only, which would work on phones that just have the NFC chip.

Also looking around in articles I do notice wording saying Samsung pay works with Samsung's flagship galaxy lineup in Canada with no mention of midrange or entry level devices which the A5 is.

Basically I think you have to wait for them to roll out Samsung Pay mini to use Samsung pay with the A5 2017.
(Edited)
Photo of Jeff Cunningham

Jeff Cunningham

That's weird. A mobilesyrup article had mentioned S.pay would be included with the A5. But as you say there may be a rollout of added features, or a mini app in the future. It is not unlike Samsung to have many similar devices all with different abilities in different regions for whatever reason. It is frustrating but not surprising.

Oh well, I'll stick with Android pay for now.
(Edited)
Photo of Iko Ju

Iko Ju

• 60 Points
It work on A5 2016 but noy 2017 somehow @@