Samsung galaxy A5 2017 wont charge past 1%, anyone have any suggestions?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Tried to charge my phone* battery drained. And it turned on and says its fast charging but wont go past 1%.
Photo of Nestor Reyes

Nestor Reyes

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 141,558 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
How long have you left it on the charger? Sometimes it takes up to 24 hours to start charging a completely depleted battery...
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 90,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can also try pulling out and reinserting the charger every minute or so several times. If nothing works after a day, you might have to get the battery replaced.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,438 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If those things don't work then make sure your running the most recent version of Android available for that advice... Setting =About Phone - SOT ware update and manually check for software update.

Also try performing a factory reset after backing up all your data you want to save, it may be a software glitch.
Photo of Queen Josephine

Queen Josephine

• 62 Points
hi I see that you have commented on a couple of galaxy a5 pages. i was wondering if you can help me with my galaxy a5.I factory reset my phone about a month ago and it is always updating something takes forever to turn on shows a lock locking and unlocking. like 3 mins start up which is odd cause i have next to nothing on my phone. so my phone the past couple of days won't not charge completely let alone keep the charge. yesterday it said it was on slow charge even with the fast charging block and a phone cable that I bought from the store the night before yesterday. now it won't even register or 5hat a charge. no phone now
Photo of Nestor Reyes

Nestor Reyes

Okay I took it off the charger after 24 hours. It is working just fine except it says 1% has been on for 5 hours and still working all while saying 1%. Could be software bug?
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 66,988 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Try wiping the cache partition first. A factory reset is normally a last resort option. Wiping the cache partition removes residual file fragments left behind from previous Android operating systems. This could include battery information that may be conflicting with an earlier version of Android. Wiping the cache partition will leave everything intact on your phone. 

The video below shows how to get into the Android recovery menu for the A5 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARpmc2wFzOU

Once inside the Android recovery menu, scroll down to 'wipe cache partition' using the volume up/down keys. Use the power button to select the option. The process takes a matter of seconds to complete. When the wipe finishes, select 'Reboot system now' to reboot the phone. The A5 will take a little longer to reboot as it optimizes and rebuilds the file system. When fully rebooted, check to see if this procedure has resolved the battery charging indicator problem.
Photo of Nestor Reyes

Nestor Reyes

@rikkster I just went threw that procedure and the indicator problem is still present. I can try factory reset but I have a lot of backing up to do. 
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 66,988 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Another option to try is to go to: Settings > General management > Reset and select Reset settings. If this doesn't work, then a factory reset is inevitable.

The backup process can be a little less stressful if you download Samsung's Smart Switch desktop client software to your Windows or Mac computer. Note: the links under the headings Windows and Mac are direct download links from Samsung's Smart Switch site.

Smart Switch
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch

Windows
http://www.samsung.com/global/download/smartswitchwin/

Mac
http://www.samsung.com/global/download/smartswitchmac/
Photo of Nestor Reyes

Nestor Reyes

In case anyone is interested, my issue is resolved. Factory Reset and all other things didn't seem to work. However, run your phone until it turns off, leave it off for a few hours and hook it up to the charger. That's what kicked mine back into displaying the charge level, it has been solid ever since. 
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,438 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for coming back and letting us know Nestor, it truly is appreciated as it helps us help others that may experience the same issue. Have a great day