Samsung Galaxy A5 (2016) Charging Issues

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
For the past few days my phone has been a major, MAJOR annoyance to charge. I've tried 2 different charging blocks and cord combos and none have really worked. Last night, for example, my battery was around 35% when I put it on the charger overnight (yes, I know I shouldn't, but it's the only time I can charge it) and woke up to 3% and it is registering that it was charging. I have a new Samsung OEM charger en route (should be here in the next day or so). However, if that doesn't work either, what are my options? I've just about paid this phone off (30$ to go) and was hoping to not have to deal with a tab charge for a bit. 
Photo of Kristen H

Kristen H

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Annoyed

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 62,178 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Check local repair shops in Kijiji if your phone is out of warranty. The battery is not expensive but I wouldn't crack the phone open on my own to try changing it.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Samsung+galaxy+a5...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL6XeWZ09SQ
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,584 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Kristen, First off no worries about charging your phone overnight I've done it for the last 10 years with no issue, they're built with safety switches in both the charger and the phone so nothing will happen as long as you charge it with the phone in a flat hard surface and not somthing like a bed where the phone can heat up with air not circulating around through device to cool it.

If it's showing charging then chances are your charging port is fine so let's put that out of the way first. Now Before sending it for repair or anything back up your information and files and then perform a factory reset of the device to see if its a software issue. Next it may be a battery issue so if it has a removable battery (don't think it does though) purchase a new one and try that. Next option is to send it to have the battery replaced if it is a sealed battery.
Photo of Kristen H

Kristen H

I will try a factory reset and see if it helps. (Though I'll need to wait for the battery to charge up a bit) It does have an enclosed battery (unfortunately) so it would need to get sent in if that's the issue.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 103,858 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you put it in airplane mode, does it help charging your phone?
Photo of Kristen H

Kristen H

I am not sure but I will try it out