Samsung G. Ace II / GT-S7560M Battery Issue (Dies during phone call, charge shows full but turns off anyways)

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Lately my phone battery has been dying very quickly or randomly, always while showing between 80-100% battery. Usually this is determined by how long it has been since it was plugged in (Usually only survives two or three hours) but it will die suddenly if used in a phone call. This is been getting worse over the past week or two, should I go to Koodo or get a new battery?
Photo of GreaterHarpy

GreaterHarpy

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 61,576 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you are under warranty, go to Koodo.

If not, download a Battery Drainer app from Google Play. Just about any one will do for your purposes. Charge to 100%, run the drainer and see if you get sudden death at slightly under 80% just like your call scenario. If so, your battery is probably kaput.

Lots of inexpensive choices available:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i...
Photo of Daniel Hryb

Daniel Hryb

• 3,830 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I would get a new phone, the ACE IIx is an old phone with limit capabilities. For the price of a new battery you could get a much better phone, like the Moto G.

However if it is still under warranty (less than a year old) I would think the battery is covered.

BobTheElectrician

• 61,344 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Moto G now $75 net with one full year warranty. Will probably cost you about $55 over the price of the replacement battery plus tax for a new/better phone.
Photo of Marc Lebrun

Marc Lebrun

• 60 Points
$10 CAD for an OEM battery - including shipping!
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 66,988 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
When the battery is only able to hold a charge for such a short period of time or exhibits unusual performance issues as you've described, it's usually a sign that the battery needs to be replaced.

Further charging of the battery in this state could be hazardous. The battery may overheat causing the battery to warp, bulge or crack and as a result, this could force small amounts of electrolyte gel to leak out of the battery which could damage your phone.

Remove and place the battery on a flat surface and visually inspect for warping/bulging/cracking. Check the battery compartment for any electrolyte leakage and wipe clean. If the battery gets excessively hot while charging, discontinue using that battery. Replace the battery as soon as possible and refrain from charging the old battery for your own safety.

BobTheElectrician

• 61,576 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Should have mentioned above that any defective batteries should be pulled out of service immediately.

Anyone need to google "LiOn battery plane crashes"....
Photo of GreaterHarpy

GreaterHarpy

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
@Rikkster. Thanks for the heads up. The battery itself is definitely bulging in the center, at least for now I haven't had any leakage. The phone at this point is maybe two or three years old but I don't really need or want a replacement. For my purposes it behaves fine.

@Robert. Since my battery is probably shot anyways I'll need a replacement but this at least gives me a way to make sure, thanks for the info there.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.