Replacement phone in the United States?

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
My phone is broken and I need to replace it. I purchased the phone and plan in Canada, but I am currently in the United States. Can I purchase a new phone in the United States and still use my Canadian plan/SIM card?
Photo of Hallie Sinclair

Hallie Sinclair

  • 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

  • 1
Photo of HippieLongstocking


  • 24,720 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Hallie!
Sorry to hear!
As long as you get a phone that's unlocked, or pay to get the phone unlocked it will work :D
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

  • 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes but you may need to unlock the phone you buy in the states.

Avoid buying a tracfone/net10/straight talk phone at walmart as they can't be unlocked.
Photo of BobTheElectrician


  • 67,336 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Any phone that is AT&T compatible and unlocked will be 100% Koodo compatible. Try to find one that can use your existing SIM, since they come in a few sizes, and Koodo will not ship you a replacement.

Check out to get an idea. Many more available on Amazon, eBay etc.

Avoid Walmart. As Chad says, most of the cheaper brands they carry will not work with Koodo, no way, no how.

Photo of Samridhi


  • 364 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hello Hallie,

As long as the phone is unlocked you can use it. But I would strongly recommend you to check with the IMEI of the phone using the link below. Try to copy paste it in the browser. It wil tell you whether or not a particualar phone will work on koodo network or no.
Photo of Hallie Sinclair

Hallie Sinclair

  • 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is all great advice. Thank you!

I have replaced the smashed one, with a new working phone. Totally useable with my SIM card, etc.

Thank you everyone for all of the help.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.