Reduce Unlocking Fee

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Not Planned
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: positive tab mention

I think Koodo should relook at their fee for unlocking a phone. If I have bought the phone outright, or have a positive or zero tab balance (meaning I have paid off the 'subsidy'), I think $50 is a little excessive. Something more along the lines of $20-25 would be more reasonable, to bring it in line with services like cellunlocker

Just my 2 cents....
Photo of Marcel in O-Town

Marcel in O-Town

• 3,722 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I wouldn't pay more than $20 to unlock a regular smartphone from a carrier and that's still REALLY pushing it. I always use third party methods.

The only phone that I agree is worth paying $50 to unlock is the iPhone as it's a permanent unlock and doesn't cost much more than what a 3rd party would charge for a non-permanent unlock.
Photo of RudyW

RudyW

• 21,890 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I agree. Unlocking is easy, there are plenty of alternatives, why would anyone wait for koodo to lower prices?
Photo of Marcel in O-Town

Marcel in O-Town

if koodo were to lower prices, we wouldn't have to go finding those other alternatives.
Photo of Don

Don

• 6,586 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I was wondering, why are the Iphones more expensive to unlock ?
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

^at third party places? Because normal smartphones all you need to do is input a simple code. But the iphone there is so much more and you need to actually plug it into a computer... very tedious and at times annoying if there's a problem that comes up
Photo of Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes

• 5,004 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
All network unlocks are permanent.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 106,448 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Not if you get an replacement phone from iPhone for exemple! You would've lost your paid unlock
Photo of MykeC

MykeC

• 20,174 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey robert, if an unlocked Iphone is returned to Koodo and a replacement is sent out, Apple will ensure that it is also unlocked.

Robert, Mobile Master

Not if it's third party. This is what I meant to say. Oops :P
Photo of MykeC

MykeC

Could you elaborate more on what you mean then?

Robert, Mobile Master

Well, unlocking an iPhone with a 3rd-party won'T make Apple know what your iPhone is unlocked. Therefore, they will give you a non-unlocked iPhone and since you've unlocked it with a 3-rd party, you can't go back to Koodo in order for them to unlock it once more. Is it more clear now? 3rd party unlocking is not supported by Apple and you'll get to pay double the fee if you need to change your phoneƩ
Photo of MykeC

MykeC

You would be correct in that respect, well done sir :).

Marcel in O-Town

@adam the reason ahmad mentioned the iphone is that while it is possible to jailbreak and do some funny things, a true unlock (expensive around $50) frees up the phone from Apple as well, so it requires some more communications with their servers, etc to properly unlock it..
Photo of Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes

• 5,004 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
That's why I said network unlocks, not jail breaking or rooting.
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

• 23,576 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Marcel,

Koodo is offering the cheapest carrier unlocking fee in Canada. Other carriers are doing it for 75$. If you really want to pay super cheap for it, then you can go to a third party website to do it yourself.
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

Erwin, he's suggestion is based on the fact it doesn't cost the company a penny to unlock the phone besides the labour used in getting it for the customer and that the fee is still over-priced. Sure, you can say that Koodo has lower unlocking prices but so do 3rd parties and their methods (excl. iPhone) are the exact same.
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

• 23,576 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ahmad, i dont understand what your saying. The carrier unlocking process is totally different from 3rd party ones. Koodo does unlock the phone over the air and will 100% will work no matter how many software updates you do. in 3rd party there is a chance it may not work. Thus the price is cheaper.because you're doing it on your own. PLUS, no carrier in Canada or the USA unlocks a phone for $20.

Therefore, this suggestion will more than likely be rejected or ignored because someone can just go to a website, if thats what they choose and unlock it cheap but there may be some drawbacks to it. Like if you reset your phone, the unlocking goes away, etc.
Photo of MykeC

MykeC

Hey Erwin, the unlocking process for a non-Iphone device is simply putting in another provider's sim card then the phone will ask for a network code. We then provide the customer, which they input and the phone is network unlocked. Iphone unlocking requires a bit more of a process.

Whether the phone is unlocked through the provider the phone originated from or through a 3rd party service, once a phone is network unlocked, it stays unlocked. I hope this helps.

Ahmad

Erwin, you really need to read up on how unlocking works. Half the information you stated isn't true. You sound like one of those employees who spreads misleading information to scare customers.
Photo of Jorden

Jorden, Mobile Master

• 33,404 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Actually Telus is cheaper than Koodo when it comes to unlocks. $35.

http://mobility.telus.com/en/AB/Unloc... (right at the bottom)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.