Reason for ring?

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
This seems to be my night to get caught up on all those questions I've been meaning to ask for the last few months....

For as long as I can remember, which is basically as long as I've had this phone, it occasionally makes a ringing sound that is NOT an incoming phone call. It's an HTC Desire 320 running Android 4.4.2 or thereabouts.

The sound is very different from the tone I have set for incoming calls and it is also different from the tone I've set for incoming texts. For the life of me, I can't figure out what event this ring is trying to tell me about. The sound is similar to one of those mechanical bells you get in stores under the "Ring bell for service" sign. Is there any way to determine what event is causing the ring?

I don't pretend to know the Android internals but I wonder if there is a way to find all the different sounds my phone makes and then identify which event(s) cause that particular sound? If there is, I can just try each of the sounds until I hear the one I'm wondering about and then look at some kind of table to say what event causes that sound.
Photo of Rhino

Rhino

• 680 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 65,576 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
After you hear the noise check your phone to see the accompanying notification that comes after. Are there any or is your phone just making noises?
Facebook messenger has a ringing like notification. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9of74gt...)
Photo of Rhino

Rhino

Where would I find notifications?

For what it's worth, I don't do Facebook so it's not going to be Facebook notifications.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 44,428 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I am using android 7, not sure if it can apply. Here is the way to find sound notification for apps:
App drawer --> settings --> sound & notification --> Apps or Advanced settings (notifications sound). There you will find many customized ways to set up sounds for apps and you could find where the strange notification.
Photo of Rhino

Rhino

Thanks for the suggestion but my Android version, 4.4.2, does not have the same screens. I can't find anything like you describe. I guess this ringing will remain a mystery :-)
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 109,364 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Low battery sound? It does sound even though if your phone is on mute?
Photo of Rhino

Rhino

No, I've heard the low battery sound and it's not the same. At one point, I thought it might indicate that I was going out of range of any WiFi network for which I had a password but it also happens when I am here in the house well within range of the WiFi. It happens a few times a day but I can't find any pattern to the time or what I'm doing with the phone; it also happens overnight while it is recharging.

By the way, I dug out my manual and found the notifications but I'm not seeing anything there that coincides with the ringing.
Photo of Jan Hope

Jan Hope

• 4,356 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
@Rhino

Did you try to shut every single sound down on you phone including your phone ring and then on by one turning them on?
Photo of Rhino

Rhino

I haven't tried that yet. Mind you, I'm not sure how I'd do that. Are you saying I should set my phone so it doesn't ring and my texts so they don't make a sound? (And so forth for emails and other things that trigger sounds.) Let's say I did that: how would I tell what my  mystery sound was being caused by even if it was the last sound made by the phone?
Photo of Jan Hope

Jan Hope

Hey Rhino,

You have to start somewhere. On most (not all) android phones you have four sounds: ringtone, media, notifications and system. Starting one by one give you opportunity to know where it comes from. That is a very first step that could be very useful.
Photo of Jan Hope

Jan Hope

@Rhino

It is like solving some mysteries. You go by leads and clues. Every sound is associated with certain notification in fact one is called notifications. I hope you know what I mean.
Photo of Rhino

Rhino

I found the ringtones, listened to all of them and did NOT hear the "mystery" sound. I looked but can't find anything else sound related beyond the audio profile which just sets the phone on vibrate when you're in meetings or makes it louder when you're outside. If you can tell me how to find "media" and "system" sounds so that I can listen to them, that would be great. Ditto for whatever sound is supposed to accompany a notification. I don't think the mystery sound is telling me about a new notification though because I've heard the mystery sound several times today and there's only one notification for the day. I heard it a few times yesterday and there are no notifications for yesterday.
Photo of Jan Hope

Jan Hope

@Rhino

You have to go to settings on your phone. Find my device or something with this name in settings. There you can personalize among others lock screen, display, sounds and notifications. Click on that and you can find settings for all your sounds. You can change them or make softer or louder. In fact if you change them you can know if the bothering sound changed, as well.
Photo of Rhino

Rhino

I guess I haven't been clear. I have tried VERY HARD to find the spots where I can do all that personalization but haven't FOUND them yet. I don't know whether Android 4.4.2 lacks that personalization or whether it is hidden where I haven't thought to look.
Photo of Jan Hope

Jan Hope

Hey Rhino,

It could be in my device under the sound and then should be volume and notifications there. It seems to me that you haven't been looking everywhere, indeed.
Photo of Rhino

Rhino

There simply aren't any points where I can set the sound for notifications in general; I think they must have made some big improvements in Android between 4.4.2 and 7.

In any case, the issue has been resolved as of the last few minutes! It turns out that the mystery sound is a notification from my email program. It rang twice a few minutes ago and I found a notification from my email program complaining about my password; I checked the settings for the email program and found that a particular ringtone, Slate was set. When I played it, that was the mystery sound. I've set the ringtone to "none" for the email program so that should stop that single ring.

The sound doesn't actually bother me - aside from not knowing what it signified - but it puzzled anyone near me when it rang. They didn't know where it was coming from. I realized they were reacting to the mystery ring but I wasn't able to explain what it signified. I really don't need to know when emails have arrived so I'm just going to leave that ringtone at none for the time being to see if it becomes a problem *not* to be notified of incoming emails. If it does, I'll choose a suitable sound.
Photo of Jan Hope

Jan Hope

Congratulation!!!! @Rhino  It is a great relief at least for me. It is like an ending of "Whodunit" LOL.

And by the way 4.4.2 on S3 still has notifications.
Photo of Rhino

Rhino

Yes, I know 4.4.2 has notifications but I was assuming that there was a single sound for all the different possible notifications and I was trying to find where *that* got set so that I could change that and see if the mystery sound changed. But I did NOT find a single place to change the sound made by all notifications. It seems that each kind of notification could have a different sound so that you get one sound for emails arriving, another sound for Facebook posts, etc. etc.