Really wish They'd have explained charges better at Kiosk. Didn't notify full month in advance. $112 bill for 7 days usage.

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Buh, I really wish they'd have told me in advance at the Kiosk that they bill in "Advance" getting a $112 bill for 7 days of service (So it seems) is heckuva expensive.

The website says Kiosk activations charge you $30 for "in store" activations. So does that mean if I got it online it'd have been cheaper?

Just not a great first impression for not having been told about how the billing service works. *Sigh*
Photo of Kelsea

Kelsea

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 191,614 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Similar to cable or home internet, wireless providers bill one month in advance.  All post paid cell plans from Virgin or Fido or any of the big 3 bill one month in advance.  Is this your first cell phone?

If you would have activated online, you would have saved the $30 charge but you would be waiting for your sim in the mail for about a week
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 59,516 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes. If you purchase online then you dont have to pay the $30.
Here's an article that explains your first bill: https://www.koodomobile.com/help/charges-explained
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 17,500 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The Kiosk wants you to activate through them. They arent going to tell you to do it online where you can do it for free. They then lose their commission. They should of explained why your first bill is higher than normal though. They are, after all, getting a commission for you going through them. 
Photo of Kelsea

Kelsea

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If there's dishonesty in that regard and that's how they're paying their staff.

It makes me think maybe the public mobile might've been a better deal. 

If I can't trust them, why would I do business with em?
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 191,250 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Koodo and Public mobile are both owned by Telus.

The same thing occurs at Telus.  The $30 fee is only applicable when at the kiosk.

Also all wireless providers with stores/kiosks work on commissions
Photo of srlawren

srlawren

• 3,370 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
@Dennis, yes, but have only more recently started directly charging their customers for those commissions again.  I remember years ago there used to be activation fees and then they went away, but have returned in more recently times.  My personal opinion is it's because the CRTC first took away the providers' ability to charge an early cancellation fee other than any outstanding device/tab balance, and then more recently in December took away the ability to lock phones to their network and charge for carrier-unlocking.

@Kelsey I totally agree that the experience is not great.  I can understand why the kiosk staff might not want to tell you to go online to order for free, but it sucks as a customer if you didn't know.  This is definitely not your fault, but sometimes it does pay to spend a bit of time to research how things work before making the switch/signing up.  
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 17,166 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
"If I can't trust them, why would I do business with em?"

You can't follow this or you won't have anybody to sign up with lol. They are all kinda shady and none are better than the other except in opinion only. The flanker brands of the big 3 are abit cheaper but are still governed by what the parent company dictates. If they ever get true competition the big 3 are in trouble.
(Edited)
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 77,750 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@Kelsea, what store did you activate? I want to reach out to the store manager and share your feedback as everything should have been explained clearly. And if you did ask whether the activation fee was waived online they should have been clear that indeed it is. That said it assume you are doing all the setting up of your phone, content and contract transfers etc. So there is a bit of a trade off.
(Edited)