Question about the extended warranty

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Does anyone know about the extended warranties? My daughter broke the screen on her phone and we went back to the booth we purchased it at. He looked up our account and confirmed we've been paying extra every month for extended warranty. He gave us the number to call for warranty and said a new phone will be sent out within a day. I called the warranty place and they said warranty doesnt cover damage but theyll send out a new phone and we can either pay right away for the new phone or be billed for it. I said well ive been paying every month for warranty why wont warranty cover it, and she said warranty isnt really a warranty.What? So disgusted with the service. I asked her to check my account to see that ive been paying for a warranty and she says yes you have. I asked her well then what is the warranty for and she says it isnt really a warranty just a part of the tab. Yes, i pay the tab and i pay extra to add an extended warranty right? And she says yes. Why have i been paying extra every month to add a warranty that serves no purpose at all, totally feel ripped off by koodo and the awful lady in their call center. After asking her a million times what the warranty is for then and why ive been paying for months, she asks again, so, do you want to buy a new phone then. So frustrated. such awful customer service and a total waste of paying extra every month for a service/warranty that is fake
Photo of tara

tara

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • angry

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Hellothere

Hellothere

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
"The program provides protection for up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a $49 service charge. Please call our support centre at 1-844-574-1839 within 30 days of the incident to make a service request."
http://extendedwarranty.koodomobile.com/en-ca/#FAQ
(Edited)
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 116,304 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You might be angry/frustrated with the person who you dealt with. She should've given you better explanation about your warranty.
But maybe you also should know what you are paying for and how it works before you saying such things as "ripped off by Koodo", "disgusted with the service" and "service/warranty that is fake".
Photo of tara

tara

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I did ask about the warranty, and they said everything was covered, as i wasnt going to purchase it, but they said if anything at all happened the phone will be replaced for free and that i really need to have it as if anything ever happened to my phone and i didnt have it id have to pay for a new phone instead of paying this extra monthly charge for warranty and that people get screwed over all the time by not having it. And again going back to the booth they said it would be replaced for free and to call the number they gave me and a new phone would be sent out within one business day. And when calling she said the warranty doesnt cover anything, but they can send me out a new phone which i will be charged for. I asked all the questions before even signing up for the warranty, and was told otherwise. And when the phone broke I was again told otherwise. I think thats very deceiving and deceptive. Maybe I should have known what i was paying for and how it works? Yes thats why im mad, as i asked about everything before i purchased everything and was told false info, thats not my fault, thats koodos fault for them telling me that. And again when i went back a different person told me the exact same thing. Twice. And i specifically asked if there would be any charges and was told no, with the exception id have to pay for shipping to send the phone back. And again today when i phoned the actual warranty service i asked her about the warranty and she didnt know, all she knew was that i had a warranty but id have to pay for a new phone. Yes she most definitely should have given me a better explanation, i asked over and over too trying for her to explain it. Id count all those experiences together as bad customer service, and yes i feel ripped off as i was paying for something which wasnt what they repeatedly stated it was. I can understand if it was one employees mistake, but this was 4 different people Ive dealt with. If its what the person said above and $50 well then thats fine, but people definitely need to be made aware of that instead of being told otherwise by multiple employees.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,950 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Clearly the Koodo kiosk reps you spoke with need to be educated on how the extended warranty program works. Providing the location(s) of where this occurred should prevent this incident from happening again.

While I agree that the representatives you spoke with should have been better informed, the onus is ultimately on the consumer to read the fine print of any warranty or contract, forewarned is forearmed.
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There are always two sides to a story. Lets remember that.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,950 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That's always in the back of my mind Ahmad, thanks for the reminder.
Photo of Gerry Hanlon

Gerry Hanlon

• 2,868 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I just got a new phone for damaging my new Galaxy S6 that was only a few weeks old! I dropped it and cracked the back glass.It was covered under warranty!
How long have you had the Koodo Extended warranty? Were you paying $6.00 on your monthly bill for it? I was and it covered mine.
I pretty much had my new S6 a few days later,shipped and brand new out of the box.
All I had to pay was $49.00 for the new phone.
Call them back and tell them you have to make a claim and get the ball rolling that way.If that doesn't work,take the phone with you to the Koodo kiosk and get them to help you with starting the process.Get them to call eSecuritel if you have too!
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
She's upset she actually has to pay the $49 which is more than reasonable to do.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,906 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No, the $49 service charge is inconsequential and Tara openly admits this, (read her second post near the end). She's peeved because four different people told her she didn't have to pay the $49 service charge.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.