Question about koodo plans

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hello all, I've always been using prepaid, but figure I'll be swapping out for a plan and new phone at the end of the month so I have some newbie questions

1) the plan I'm looking at is ppu data, now with my phone ATM (driod 4.4.2 the phone I'm looking at comes with 6.0.2 which I'll upgrade to nougat if possible) I have 'mobile data' turned on at all times (I don't have any data addons) to receive pictures and other MMS, if I'm to receive this stuff do I need data on and if so does it go towards the ppu data or does it "bypass" it and not run up data on the bill -- only asking as it says free picture on the plans.

2) I talk to people internationally quite a bit mainly the Philippines and UK, is the texting international (sending and recieving and free or a fee like calling) on all plans or certain ones?
Photo of Tyler

Tyler

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,792 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
1 you can get an addon that will block Data usage but allow for mms to go through for just $2 / month if you wish to not use data but still want to leave on your data toggle on thr phone to send and receive mms

2 texts can be sent or received from and to anywhere in the world as long as you are physically in Canada with the unlimited texting
(Edited)
Photo of Tyler

Tyler

This data addon, is it possible to toggle it in case you need to use the data or does it perminately block excess data while allowing MMS?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,792 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It can only be removed or added every 30 days, so you'd have to wait till your next billing cycle to turn it off.

If the phone you get allows you to alter the APN settings in the settings of the phone you could set up an APN to block data and one to let it through and pick which one you want as needed although it's not really to ideal IMO as you need to dig into settings every time instead of tapping a toggle in your notification shade.

It would be easier to see if there's a plan you can get with a very small. Amount of data and only turn it on when needed to send mms or use data whivh is what I personally do.
(Edited)
Photo of Tyler

Tyler

Apns could be viable, its a shame there isn't a built in feature for something like this
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 64,498 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There are a number of Android utilities that allow you to make a shortcut for some settings such as Paul suggested. Unfortunately, how easy they will work depends on the phone you will be getting and the version of Android, so it's impossible to give a universal answer.

If you have mobile data off with some phones and MMS comes thru, you will get a prompt on your messaging screen to turn on data to see the attachment. Do that temporarily till that session is finished. You can at least check it out at a Koodo store by using your current phone to send a picture message to a demo phone.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Curious, if you're not really into data on your phone, why are you considering a move to postpaid?
Photo of Tyler

Tyler

I wont really be using data but should i need it its ppu and always availabe which is a bonus but I more so need it for the unlimited calling for work/business (in Canada ofc) and texting (international ideally)
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 191,614 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Do you need canada wide calling, or province wide good enough?
If province wide is good enough, there is a prepaid plan with unlimited mins that costs the same as postpaid.  You can always get a data booster and only uses it when needed.  They never expire