Public Mobile to Koodo: porting problems. Koodo employee needed.

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I ported 2 lines from Public Mobile to Koodo on their offer to migrate PM Legacy plans.  The 2 plans are $25  Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes / unlimited messaging (text & picture) which include a variety of features (Call display, Call Forwarding, voicemail, etc...).

On each line we also added the following for Data: add-on 250MB/ month for $2.  I was told this is a one time offer for Public Mobile users migrating to Koodo.   It is also listed in some Community conversations on Public Mobile's website.

Once the transfer was performed by a Koodo employee, he loaded new SIM and asked us to try our phone.  Calls & text worked fine.  But Data did not.  Since it was quite busy and after 6pm, he suggested I contact Koodo this morning to resolve.

Also, as per other threads/conversations, Call Forwarding is missing.

Problems to resolve (on both lines):
1) add-on 250MB/month for $2 - not working
2) Call Forwarding - missing

Can a Koodo employee look into this?
Thank You.
Photo of A

A

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

• 29,328 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey A - we need access to your account in order to look into this, and since we don't have a name, and the email address you're using isn't connected to an existing account, we can't do much here. I recommend you shoot us a private message on Facebook. Once available, an agent will verify you as the account owner and look into these issues from there. 
Photo of A

A

Thanks for quick reply.

This account was created many years ago with Public Mobile, to access their "community" conversations.   Since Koodo uses same system, I used the same login account.

I wanted to send an email directly to your Support group, but it seems that you can't do this with Koodo.  I had to go through the long process (very long) of going through FAQ, community posting for similar problems, etc...

I do have a valid email on this account.  Can you email me and I'll provide whatever details you need?

I do not use Facebook.
Thanks again, A.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

Hmm.. here's a couple of ways we can get around this:

- You can create a decoy Facebook or Twitter account to send us a private/direct message. I understand and respect your desire to not be on the platform, but for support purposes, a lot of companies are using this as an efficient way to help their customers (especially since wait times for a large majority of companies have increasingly gone up)
- . Another option is to post your phone number here. Once posted, I can remove/mask it so others no longer see it.. but given that this is a public forum, I understand if you're hesitant

Outside of these suggestions, your last resort would be to try dialing 611 from your phone to speak with an agent, but to be honest I wouldn't recommend it given the wait times, and since the suggestions above would be a lot easier. 
Photo of A

A

OK.  Posting personal information here (in a public forum) is not a good idea.

So if a customer has a problem,  and he does not want to wait 2-hours on phone, Koodo's only option is via Facebook, twitter or similar?

I'm surprised you can't send me an email at the address in my account.  If you work for Koodo, you do have access to the information in my account.  Correct?

Nobody from Koodo can reach a client via email?    That is insane.

And there is no Support email available for clients, no online "form" that a client can fill, no mechanism to contact Koodo support?

You must have another way to provide support to a customer.  It makes no sense at all that Koodo would force a customer to create accounts on 3rd party websites like Facebook, twitter.... go get support.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

Most customers use the same email here as their account. That allows us employees to pull up your account info. and help provide general info. without getting into account details. If you're able to update the email connected to this profile with the one connected to your Koodo account, that would be perfect. If that's not possible, then yes - the next best option is Facebook or Twitter as we have dedicated agents that work those channels. You may fall in the minority of folks that don't use those platforms, but the reality is that a large majority of people do and prefer it as a support outlet. If neither are options for you, 611 is still there. Yes, wait times can be long, but there's a call-back option so that you don't have to wait on hold. 3(4?) options to choose from there.
(Edited)
Photo of A

A

I am surprised and shocked that your ONLY support option to contact a customer is via a 3rd party.  I'm not going to discuss, nor start arguing as to how good/smart it is for a corporation to basically let another company "control" access to their support and hence their customer base.

To me personally (and to the few people to whom I mentioned this),  Koodo FORCING a customer to create accounts on 3rd party websites so he can receive support makes no sense.

It is one thing for you to provide Facebook/Twitter as one support option (out of many), while still giving your customer the option to contact your Support via some direct mechanism (email, online form on Koodo website, oniline chat, etc...).  That would be fine with me.

If you are a paying customer, every company that I know gives you the option to contact them directly.  Koodo is the first that does not do this.

Personally, it is unacceptable that you FORCE your paying customer (emphasis on "paying") to go through these other companies.   Even if it is through some dummy/decoy account.

To get back to solving this issue:  I logged in getsatisfaction.com and currently viewing my profile.

Can I put details under "Real Name" (eg. my name, Koodo account#, tel# etc...) so you can view it?
Is the information listed there confidential or is it public?

Or can I click on "add another email address" and add the email which I use for my Koodo account?  I would like to leave my Primary Email as is.

Or can I put contact info that you require anywhere else in my profile?
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

You're twisting my words A. I simply outlined the various ways for customers to get support from Koodo. I never said the only way for us to contact customers is through a third party, because that's not true.

No one is being forced to use the social channels where we provide support. I suggested that it would be your best option, given that we need to access your account in order to look into the two issues you originally outlined. If for whatever reason you don't like that option, you can dial 611 - that's the mechanism for you to contact us directly.

The most efficient way for most customers to get help is through this community. 95% of the time, fellow customers and our Mobile Masters are able to help resolve customer issues without access to the account. From time to time employees like myself also pipe in to help, but given the level of anonymity, I'm unable to do so this time.

I sent an email. Please reply back and let me know if there's a number to reach you at and I'll try my best to look into things for you.
(Edited)
Photo of Al GR

Al GR

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Where did you see the $2 /  250mb of data on the Public Mobile forum ? I couldn't find any info there.   I am considering switching as well to Koodo and would like more info on that deal for PM legacy customers.  Thanks
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

A - thanks for the great chat. Let me know if the suggestions help once you get a chance to try this weekend.
Photo of A

A

Al GR:
The 250mb for $2 is discussed here.  I had to find the exact page since this is a 21 page thread...
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Effective-April-1-changes-are-happening-to-Legacy-Pioneer-rate/td-p/138212/page/20

Ranjan:
We checked APN settings on one of the phone.   Most of the fields were already filled with the same data that you sent us (I guess it is automatic).   We modified some of the add'l fields.  But Data still does not work.
So the next step will be to remove the "Data Block @$0" listed in this account.  But I will await your response monday since I am concerned that if I remove this Data Block @$0, that I may not be able to put it back (since its a "special" item for migrated Public Mobile customers).

Thanks, A.
Photo of A

A

Ranjan:
I've been doing some testing with my account, to try and resolve this issue. And get the 2 messed-up lines up and running properly.

This info below should help you out. I am sure it will save you some time.  I spend fair bit of time trying various things, but the following is the important one:

I did login into my account,  clicked "View rate plan" for one of the tel#.   Then under the "Change Plan" button, it shows "Your monthly add-ons".  Next to it I  click on button "Manage>".    You mentioned that this should let me modify my settings and remove the "Data block @$0".

When I reached this point, the only item that I can view and "manage" is just 1-item.  It only shows me the following (in a highlighted green box):
Your current add-on(s)
X   "$2 Data 250MB"   = $2

With a "red-X" at beginning of the line. I'm guessing  that if I click on the red-X it removes this add-on.  There is nothing else that I can "manage".

Below this highlighted green-box, in black letters with some blue-boxes, it shows this:

Choose your monthly add-on(s)
$0per month  Detailed Billing
$0per month  MMS Block
$0per month  Call Display Restrict
etc...  (approx 10-items, some options at $2, $3, $20..)

I can "add" any of these add-on items, but I can only remove the "$2 Data 250MB".   I cannot modify, nor remove anything else.

Bottom line:  I can't do what you mentioned and what you asked me  ie.  remove the "Data block @$0".  It looks like you will have to do this for me.

Let me know what feedback you received from your team.
Thanks, A.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

Hi A - I was able to get some clarity on the situation.

Data was only available as a purchased add-on for all PM plans eligible for the Koodo port-in offer. No pay-per-use since the plans were prepaid. To stay true to the promise that customers can 'keep their existing PM plans', a $0 data block was added to make sure the plan and features do indeed match up.

The $2/250mb add-on is not something that was promoted as part of this offer, since it's not compatible with your plan. If it was added at the store level, it may have been a unique offer through that store/dealer, but since it interferes with the construct of your plan and the promotion, it's not working - as you've pointed out.

We can remove the $2 add-on and credit you back for any charges you may have incurred from it, but if you'd like to be able to use data you'll need to switch to an in-market Koodo plan.
Photo of A

A

So if I understand correctly,  we cannot use the 250Mb @$2 add-on ?
And basically this is because your computer system cannot remove the "Data block @$0" ?

Wouldn't it be easy to fix this - simply ask your IT guys for the ability to remove Data block @$0? So we would be able to do this in the same manner in which your other customers can do it.

One of the main reasons I did agree to migrate from Public Mobile to Koodo is because we could add the "250Mb Data @$2 add-on".     This was mentioned in Public-Mobile Community blogs, this was mentioned to me by Koodo employess working in official Koodo kiosks, etc...

I understand how PM worked when I had my account there.   But this is now Koodo, and it is no longer a prepaid plan (as it was explained many times by each Koodo employee).  Koodo postpaid has advantages & disadvantages versus the Public prepaid plan.   So there is nothing stopping Koodo from providing the "250Mb Data @$2 add-on" to migrating PM users.  Except for a user-account setting easily fixable in your computers.

Can you please try to talk to your internal people and mention the above.  I am sure this is not a big deal and it can easily be fixed.
Thank You.
Photo of Ranjan

Ranjan, Official Rep

Hi A - It's not that our system can't remove the block, but because the plan is designed to mimic the PM plan, it can't be changed or altered. The $2 add-on is not something that's compatible with this specific plan and should not have been offered in the first place. We'll be taking this away to find out why/how the store communicated this add-on, and you're welcome to discuss it with them as well.

Agreed that the Public and Koodo structures are different, and that's why we have our own suite of rate plans, which you're welcome to choose from. The plan you're on was designed specifically to make those people happy that wanted to keep everything as they had it with Public once they migrate over to Koodo. On the Koodo side, there are a few different rate plans ranging from $28-35 in your region that offer pay-per-use or included data, and these may better suit your needs if you're looking for data options. 
Photo of A

A

Quite disappointed to hear this answer.    I will reply with more later...
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Likewise, not the answer I was expecting.
I used to buy 1 GB of data with PM, as add-on, and that was enough for me for a whole year for occasional email checking/random stuff, when I was not near any trusted wi-fi.
Now I do not have this option anymore, as it appears to be easier to block data altogether, than implement something that PM had no trouble doing...
Any chance of someone revisiting this any time soon?
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 91,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Koodo's pre-paid would be the closest to what you are looking for.

I do not see Koodo implementing roll-over data on their post-paid plans.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.