Price Protection for iPhone 5

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Thinking of getting an iPhone 5 very soon. With the 6 coming out soon is there any price protection or upgrade path available at no cost, Or do I need to just wait?
Photo of Geoff Kendell

Geoff Kendell

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Within 15 days of purchase. There is no special policy where the next generation of a phone comes out and you get the "difference" back on a previous generation when its price goes down. We wish there was.
Photo of Curtules

Curtules

• 19,666 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I don't think there's any sort of special upgrade path.

Personally, I'd just wait for the phone you really want. But you could, I guess, get the iPhone 5C or 5S from Koodo now, let the Tab get paid a little with your monthly contributions, then pay the remainder off when you want to upgrade. But that seems too complicated.

Honestly, I'd just save up and buy from Apple directly if I ever decided I wanted an IPhone. That way it's unlocked, you can choose what level of internal storage you can work with and if your Tab is 0 or higher you can freeze it and get 10% off your monthly bill.
Photo of Geoff Kendell

Geoff Kendell

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The phone will be subsidised so trying to keep the up front cost to a minimum. The only issue is whether the cost of the 5 will go down when the 6 comes out. As of now the 4S is $0 with the med tab and the 5C $ 250. So will the 5C drop to $0?

I guess the options are gamble or wait, bit of a drag as I need one soon.
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just wait. Every year a new iPhone comes out, the ones before always go down.
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The iPhone 5C and 5S will get iOS8 so they'll be pretty much on par with the 6 aside from the bigger screens.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.