porting from Telus to Kodoo without getting dinged 100 bucks termination fee - how to?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
If I move my phone number from Telus on the final day of my soon to expire three year contract Telus says they will bill me the 100.00 termination fee so I should not move my phone number until the day after. However, then my number will be inactive. What the heck?
Photo of Owen

Owen

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,438 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
just because your contract is up doesn't mean your account is going to magically close, it just means your not tied to that company anymore. so wait till a couple day AFTER your contract is up & just don't sign another contract by getting a new phone. then port your number over after the contract is up.
Photo of Owen

Owen

In terms of closing, I have already notified Telus (more than a month in advance) that I want to terminate my account as soon as my 3yr contract has ended. You mean that even though it terminates it's not magically closed?

Regardless, in terms of your advice that means I am phone-less for a day or two...yes?...no? /thanks
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 199,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You should try to call Telus and say you don't want the account to be terminated when your contract ends. Then after the date your contract is up just go to Koodo and tell them you want to port your # over.
Photo of Owen

Owen

No, I haven't ended the contract *early.*

I fully intend to stay with Telus until the official end-date of my contract thus fulfilling that contract. However, after that date I do not wish to remain with Telus and wanted the account closed.

If I do as you say and keep my account open with Telus after my contract has ended I must still give them a month's notice and be billed for that even though during that period I would be porting my number to Koodo. I would end up paying two bills, would I not?
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Check my reply below. Answers your questions.
Photo of Owen

Owen

"Since you called and told them to cancel the account the day your contract was up" No, I am having the account cancelled the day after. So, I will have Telus service up to and including the final day of the contract but not the day after the end of the contract.
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

It doesn't matter what notice you gave them. Porting your number actually RESETS your cancellation request so you will still be charged another 30 days from the day after your contract or from the day you port your number. Please see my post below
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

The first thing you need to do if you want to keep your number is call Telus and tell them you want to cancel your cancellation request (which they can do). Second, you should port your number the day after your contract expires. Telus, among other carriers require a 30 days notice.

When you port your number, your Telus account becomes basically useless for the next month but you're still going to be charged for the 30 days. What I recommend you do is, the day you port your number, call Telus FIRST and tell them to change your plan to the $25 voice plan. This will minimize any charges you may have to pay due to the 30 days notice.

By porting your number, it also automatically cancels your Telus line for you so you don't have to call Telus.
Photo of Don

Don

• 6,586 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
It depends in which province you live in. Quebec and BC have stricter laws when it comes to telecoms. I would check with the Consumers Protection of your province to see what are the laws towards that. So like Ahmad said, if you are in a province where they can charge you 30 days for cancelling your account then I would wait till day 29 of your billing period then port your number. Good luck.
Photo of Owen

Owen

Thanks, Don.

Yes, Ahmad's advice is correct. I've now triple checked with Telus. Looks like I will be getting a new number with my new Kodoo because I will not being paying Telus one more month of fees even at the cost mitigating 25.00 voice only.

As a result of this move, Telus is about to loose all five members of mobile phone users in our family as we spool out at the end of our contracts. Too bad too because I have been with Telus for 9 years and overall they have been a good company.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
koodo Is owned by telus so technically they still have you. #insert maniacal laughter#
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 199,426 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Muahahahaha
Photo of Owen

Owen

Yes, I'm aware of that factoid, Chad Burr, but Koodo has the best options for me/us compared to their parent company and anyone else for that matter; good for them, better for me.

Kid Andriod, thanks for the laugh and the koodo kinship (I, erm, think)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.