Porting numbers help...

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
Hello all,

I don’t think I’ve made myself clear on what I’d like to do. I’ll go into as much detail as possible;

My wife has a Koodo account, in her name, which was opened about 2-3 weeks ago and is a post-paid account. This account has a tab balance of $300. We’ll call this ACCOUNT WIFE.

I have a Koodo account, in my name, that I’ve had for about a year and is also post-paid. We’ll call this ACOUNT HUSBAND.

I also have another account that I opened, in my name, on Saturday with the $60/10GB promotion that is post-paid. We’ll call this one ACCOUNT FREE. When i opened ACCOUNT FREE I took a new phone number, I did not port my number from ACCOUNT HUSBAND.

So what I would like to do is take the phone number from ACCOUNT WIFE and port it to ACCOUNT FREE. I don’t care if ACCOUNT WIFE closes as long as the phone number from that account goes to ACCOUNT FREE.

I understand the plan is a BYOD plan so I will pay off the tab balance of ACCOUNT WIFE before I do anything.

Can I port the number from ACCOUNT WIFE to ACCOUNT FREE?

If not; I should open a prepaid Koodo account with a new number, once it’s set up I port the number from ACCOUNT WIFE to the new prepaid account. Once the port is done I then port the ACCOUNT WIFE number (now on the prepaid account) to ACCOUNT FREE.

Is this correct?

Also;

Does the porting from postpaid to prepaid to postpaid happed right away or is there a waiting period?

Does the fact that ACCOUNT WIFE and ACCOUNT FREE are in 2 different names affect what I want to do?

Thank you in advance :)
Photo of joe

joe

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 37,562 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Joe,
The transfer from ACCOUNT WIFE Post paid -> prepaid --> postpaid again is correct.

However, for porting, I believe the 2 account names must be the same.

I think in your case, what you could do is: change the name of the ACCOUNT WIFE to your name, I would call it ACCOUNT WIFE (JOE). They called it the transfer of ownership. After that, the porting is easy ACCOUNT WIFE (JOE) --> Prepaid --> ACCOUNT FREE (JOE).

You could also call Koodo and ask the agent if they could help with the number transfer once you have 2 accounts on your name.
(Edited)
Photo of Mobile Scott

Mobile Scott

• 530 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I don't believe the 2 account names need to be the same when porting. I have done it before with different names. Koodo may call the client during the porting process to verify.
Photo of joe

joe

Really? Then being as busy as they are I don’t want the process to take long
Photo of Mobile Scott

Mobile Scott

When you port out to prepaid, port to Telus or Koodo prepaid. The turnaround is very quick
Photo of joe

joe

Ok thanks. After reading my post do you think everything will be ok? Thanks
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 32,262 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I just read the Voip.ms instruction of porting, they said there is no need for matching name in porting. However, the name of the account must be correct. Apart from that, they require more information like Bill, address. https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Porting_a_Canadian_Number

So look like it porting with different names could be accomplished but there might be some checks during the process.
Photo of Mobile Scott

Mobile Scott

Yes, just to add to Azure, everything information wise needs to be correct for the port (name is correctly spelled, PIN or account number is correct.) A mistake in any of this information could delay things
Photo of Tina

Tina

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I was informed I couldn't do this. I was trying to get my daughter's plan (phone paid for outright) changed to the 10G/$60 but was impossible to get through so I was going to just open a new account at the store to do this and was told I wouldn't be allowed back to Koodo for 6 months if I did this because 'Koodo put a stop to people doing just this'. Can't win for losing. Anyone else have this issue?
Photo of joe

joe

Really? That’s odd I haven’t heard that
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 32,262 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@Tina: I think you got the wrong information.

People are not banned because of normal stuff.
Photo of Mobile Scott

Mobile Scott

That's how I got the $60/10GB plan. Opened a new line. Ported number to prepaid, ported into new line. The porting process took 15-20 minutes to complete.