port phone number from Rogers

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
Hello guys, sorry to bother but I would like to ask something about porting (transfering) phone number from Rogers to Koddo.
I am not yet order a plan right now, Just want to know do I need to order the service first or I right away phone 1-866-99-Koodo and ask for port and then make the payment? 
I actually couldn't find any step by step process tell you how to port the cell-phone number... If there is any I just didn;t find it, please tell me(give the link), appriciated! (btw am I able to just done all of these process through the phone/online without going to store? lol)

Thank you for any helps!
Photo of ookoko

ookoko

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Unsure

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Mats

Mats

• 21,302 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Order the new Koodo service online to save the $30 activating fee. Then you will get a new sim in the mail and a new temporary phone number. Then you make a self serve account and port your number into your Koodo account.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/moving-your-number-koodo

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/moving-your-phone-number
(Edited)
Photo of ookoko

ookoko

Ohh, Ok. That's how it works. Thank you for help.
And at the same time now I wonder do current koodo service has a term/contract?
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 14,588 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
No term or contract with Koodo. If you do have a tab and you want to cancel, you just have to pay off the tab with no cancellation fees. 

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/everything-you-need-know-about-tab
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 34,400 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The agreement is actually a monthly contract ("renew month to month"). As there is no cancellation fee, people often forget they have a contract.
Photo of David W Todd

David W Todd

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Your new carrier should port your number over for you.
Photo of ookoko

ookoko

so that means need to get the new carrier sim card first. Right? lol
Photo of Mats

Mats

Yes you can go to any store that sells Koodo plans and they will port your number over for you. You will then pay a $30 activation fee. Doing it yourself by ordering online and then porting through self serve saves you that fee. 

Basically with Koodo, you will be charged for anything that you could have done yourself online. Maybe that's worth it to you or maybe its not.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 34,400 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Koodo charge $30 connection fee if you switch in-store, the agent could port for you there. However, if you order the SIM/plan online ($0 connection fee), you would need to wait for the SIM to arrive and port the number from rogers yourself.
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 62,952 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
"Connection fee" is best thought of as "store commission".
If you can do it yourself online and save the $30, so much the better.
Photo of Mats

Mats

Exactly :)
Photo of ookoko

ookoko

Thanks, got it. I may do it by myself tho.
Just one more asking: The new order could have a Bonus data which only applys to new activations or upgrades with the Tab. Then if I port new sim number to current phone number, will I keep this bonus or not? (Have not previous with Koodo)
Photo of Mats

Mats

Yes you will keep your bonus data after porting your number. That doesn't affect your plan.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 41,352 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Porting/change number won't affect your plan/bonus in selfserve.