Picture messages (MMS) no longer working after transfer to Koodo

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Unlocks are now free

Transferred from Rogers with an iphone 4S (Gevey unlock). Since I moved to Koodo, I can no longer send picture messages. Anyone who has found a solution for this?
Photo of Sang-gye Buschmann

Sang-gye Buschmann

• 1,186 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Chris Petersens

Chris Petersens

• 47,266 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You probably turned your data off. You have to have it. You won't be charged for sending pictures as they are included in koodo's messaging service. So, as long as you have unlimited messaging you will be fine.
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 143,326 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You'll also need to update the carrier settings on the phone through itunes before you can use data or picture messaging.
Photo of Marcus Fenix

Marcus Fenix

• 15,752 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It's also worth mentioning that data services Koodo's network are not guaranteed on non-Koodo phones.

Sang-gye Buschmann

Thanks so much for your quick replies.

Chris Petersens: Data is on.

Timo Tuokkola: I am not sure that I reset the settings, however all other services are working. To get internet services, I had to go to an unlock site, despite my phone already being unlocked. Hint on how resetting on itunes works?

Marcus: That's a no-answer, really. That's the answer support gave me. Why do they take me with a non Koodo phone, at all? Anyways, sorry for being controversial, but I am frustrated about a few things that used to work on my phone (with other carriers in Germany, in China, in Canada) and now don't with Koodo. I just don't understand why it is not possible to have the same level of performance.
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,654 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Let's back up here. Your phone is not actually unlocked.

Your phone is using a GEVEY "unlock". This is pretty much the worst unlocking solution possible and is actually a criminal offense in certain jurisdictions because of the way it uses an emergency call to exploit a baseband flaw.

Using this method doesn't guarantee that everything will work well.

Sang-gye Buschmann

Thank you, Ivan. Which method would guarantee that everything will work well?
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

An iTunes unlock. This is frequently referred to as a "factory unlock". The only way to do this is to get someone to add your phone's IMEI to Apple's database of unlocked phones. This is done through the original carrier or a 3rd party service. After you get confirmation that your order has been processed, you then have to perform a factory reset via iTunes and your phone will then become permanently unlocked.

Unfortunately for you, unlocking Rogers iPhones via 3rd party is way too expensive ($100-150). You can get Rogers to do it for $50 if you're a current customer and have had the phone on account for 90 days. But, as you're currently using a Koodo SIM, I'd wager that this isn't an option for you.

If this is a serious enough issue for you, then my advice is to either sell or trade your phone. If trading, look for a Telus iPhone 4S as it's 100% compatible with Koodo with no unlocking required.

Sang-gye Buschmann

Ivan, thanks again. I might just quit Koodo .... it would have been good to know that before I switched. I used various different carriers on my travels and have never had similar issues. Very disappointing.

Sang-gye Buschmann

well, Rogers was kinder than expected .... at first they suggested I'd open a pay-as-you go account for 90 days and then get unlocked. However, I managed to get in touch with the unlocking department directly and they figured a way out to charge me with the $50, although I had already received my last bill. So .... might be staying with Koodo, after all.
Photo of Marcus Fenix

Marcus Fenix

• 15,752 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Because voice services can work, but data services are fickle. And since the non-Koodo phones are just that, they aren't subjected to the programming that Koodo phones are.
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 143,326 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
plug the phone into itunes and sync it. You should receive a message that the phone has detected new carrier settings. update them.
When you go to settings->general->about, Carrier should be set to koodo ##.#
(I think it's at least 14.0 now). If it says anything other than koodo that's why your data isn't working.

Sang-gye Buschmann

Marcus: so there is a certain programming .... wonder if that would be possible after the fact, after all it's 'just' software.

Timo: thank you ... .will try that.
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

This may make your iPhone not work with anything other than Rogers. Remember, you're using the Gevey method. If your baseband gets updated, your Gevey transposer will no longer work.

iTunes will detect Rogers as your carrier anyways so updating carrier settings will have no bearing on your MMS issues.

Sang-gye Buschmann

The unlock via Rogers solved this problem.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.