Phone Compatibility. Hi. I have a phone from overseas with both 850 and 1900 frequencies but it does not work on koodo 3g. Any suggestions?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of Hasan Khan

Hasan Khan

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jorden

Jorden, Mobile Master

• 33,404 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What phone is it? It's possible it's comparable with the frequencies only on GSM and not HSPA, that would keep it from working with Koodo.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 142,984 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Alas, Jorden is right, Hasan, it won't work at all :( It will probably work with Rogers (at edge speed) but for Koodo you need a phone with North American frequencies I'm afraid :(
Photo of Hasan Khan

Hasan Khan

Thank you Jorden and Sophia. I guess I have my answer. Yes the HSPA frequencies dont match. I have even tried shutting off 3G but not luck. Will chatr be a good choice? Rogers is too expensive
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Chatr should work, so would Fido and Speakout. They all use the Rogers network. However as I said your phone would probably still be crippled beyond usefulness (read: SLOW and lots of places without coverage because you'd only use the GSM part of the network)... so I'd really suggest you invest in a local phone here and use the network properly. You can get some really good phones for a good price, such as the Moto G on a Koodo plan or Nexus 5 directly from Google. In that case you could consider Koodo again too and be part of our awesome community here :D
Photo of Hasan Khan

Hasan Khan

Yup. Wouldnt want to leave since koodo has the best plans. Thanks Sophia. I guess I will have to part with some dollars after all. :)
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Good choice :) You'll end up having a nice, modern phone so you won't part with your $$$ for nothing. AND you get to stay with Koodo, good news all around :)
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Not to play devil's advocate here, but to be honest, Rogers does have a sweet $35 Unlimited Nationwide talk and text plan (no data) SIM-only/no contract plan if you can survive without data... but if you want to take advantage of the HSPA network, data is the way to go. I wouldn't bother with them.

Definitely look into getting a proper quad band HSPA phone with Koodo, like the Q5, Moto G, or Desire 601 on Tab S and the Nexus 4 or S III on Tab M.

Don't bother with the Ace II X or S4; they're opposite ends of the spectrum: one is very cheap but also very slow/laggy, the other one is a great phone but overpriced, considering the S III is just as good but is considerably less expensive.
Photo of Hasan Khan

Hasan Khan

Thank you Jonathan for laying out the choices. Great help.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.