Phone with best cameras under $400?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I am in the market for a new phone. I would like to buy upfront for under $400. My only real consideration is camera quality (front and back). What is the best in that price range? Thanks in advance!
Photo of Thea

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Spence

• 8,354 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Moto X Play
Photo of Mitchell Palmater

Mitchell Palmater

• 12,976 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
You should seriously consider the Moto X play

The LG G3 is a good second place too.
Photo of Thea

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
What is the best way to evaluate the quality of the cameras? There often doesn't seem to be much more information than the MP...sometimes you get an aperture number. Do you really just have to read the reviews and look at the sample shots, or is it just the most MP wins?
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 101,200 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Well, MP isn't everything. You should see how the model compares to other good known competitors as the iPhone or S6. If the phone, under 400$, is a competition to this phones, then you know you have a good camera!
Photo of Spence

• 8,354 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Reading the review is a good way.   We have been reading them all and in the $400 range,  I would say Moto X Play wins hands down.   Just remember that smartphones are Phones, and the cameras are an added convenience.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 193,200 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I go through many phones in every price range and in that price range you definitely want the Motorola Moto X Play, the shots from its camera are very impressive and nothing else in that price range I would even consider recommending if the camera is your main focus of what you want from your phone. I have the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge which has the best camera on a smartphone right now and many of the shots from the Moto X Play look just as good and even better in some aspects.
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,344 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I hear the One Plus 2 has quite a good camera as well, but it's grazing past the $400 mark in Canada. Stupid dollar exchange. :(
Photo of Mark Kokolsky

Mark Kokolsky

• 10,722 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'm going to partly go against the common belief here and go with the G3. I have had both, and after having the Moto X Play for a little while now I'm very torn on the camera. If you can get it to focus properly, it takes beautiful pictures. But that's the problem, I find the camera to be very "dumb" and it hunts for focus a lot from my experience. I just found the G3 was easier to get consistently good photos out of. And honestly, I don't think you would be disappointed in either.
Photo of Jrü Gordon

Jrü Gordon

• 968 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I sell phones for a living, so I get to test alot of phones. I'd say go with the Moto X Play or LG G3