p500h android system app removal and default app down directory

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

why doesnt the p500h have options to change the phone app default directory or a way to remove system apps you dont want like twitter or skype
Photo of chilnvillain .

chilnvillain .

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unless you're rooted, you can not un install system apps.
Photo of chilnvillain .

chilnvillain .

the common person doesn't understand rooting - I do however, this phone was a replacement for a C555 which gave me grief since I got it for xmas. If all the apps on this Optimus 1 are updated - I have no room to download apps I wanna try, or use..

Why would koodo send me a phone I really cannot use !!! This just as aggravating as my c555 issues....If I try to root it myself and it doesn't work, then I essentially have a brick...

Koodo should have a service which allows customers like myself that have the capability of rooting the phone and updating the O/S !!!! I refuse to pay for another phone just to have more space to get the apps I wanna enjoy...(or in this case remove the ones I never use) I am not getting the money or enjoyment that I deserve as a customer.
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 142,436 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So you refuse to get a phone that costs more than $100, but expect it to perform like a $300 phone?
Photo of chilnvillain .

chilnvillain .

Timo -

I expect that a reasonably priced phone should give you the capability of using what you want it to do, not to have crap that I can't remove from it just cause it's what comes with the phone !!! Even if I bought a phone with android 4.2 I'd still have to root it to remove the apps I don't use or want...ie Skype or twitter or FB - those 3 apps have over 60 MB being used that I could use myself !!!! So please don't lecture me about cost
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Timo and My self are volunteering our time to try and help you find a solution. You could tone down the tude bro.

The o1 us a different animal once rooted and running a custom rom. It was my first Android. You can't expect an entry level device to perform like a Nexus device. If you want resources, I can help. But if you're just wanting to complain, I can't help you.

You would need root to do what you want on any android.
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 142,436 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There is no phone on the market that will allow you to remove factory installed apps using the stock OS without rooting the phone. The optimus one is a 3 year old phone that was low end when it came out. Not once has koodo ever concealed the specs for this phone, and they do offer a large number of phones with 2 GB or more of internal memory, including the galaxy ace 2, which sells for $150. Since by your own post you know all about cellphones you should know to choose a phone based on specs and not solely on price.
Photo of chilnvillain .

chilnvillain .

Look -

It's like this. Koodo is a large enough company that they should know and have planned for this. I can't be the only person under their forums that has posed this question. I appreciate your time guys. I am just so incredibly angry that I had a new phone at xmas - had issues with it, and was sent a replacement that isn't even current...and I can't even install apps I want on it !!!
Photo of mattjs

mattjs

• 15,658 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
You said you understand the rooting process, so then why not just go ahead and root it so you have the functionality you want?

As was noted earlier, most phones on the market don't allow users to remove factory installed apps or change directory defaults. It's not Koodo that implements these practices, it's the manufactures.

The simple solution is to just root the device and configure it to operate as you desire, it's not a very long process and you'll have the functionality you're after.
Photo of chilnvillain .

chilnvillain .

I think of it like this. When you buy a new computer and it comes with all those evaluation software for 30 days. Most people delete those to clear up hard drive space. Well the same thinking can be applied in this situation. I don't want some of the apps on the phone, they take up space that I could otherwise use, and the best answers I am told are to deal with it. And as a customer and as a person that spends their hard earned money with Koodo I find that answer just a bit unacceptable. Good Day.
Photo of mattjs

mattjs

• 15,658 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Koodo just sells the device though, they're simply a retailer. I understand why you're frustrated, but it shouldn't be with Koodo, it's LG and Google who manufactured the hardware and software. The only solution to this is to root your device, their is no other way to go about it.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.