On Feb 26th 2016 I will be travelling to Florida for 60 days - would like to text and talk - what add-on plan do you suggest?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: No longer valid due to Easy Roam

Photo of Diane Kandyba Descheneaux

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mitchell Palmater

Mitchell Palmater

• 12,976 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
You would need to grab the 30 day US roaming talk and text.
And then renew it after 30 days for another 30 days.

30 days

$45
Unlimited minutes
Unlimited outgoing texts
Free incoming texts

To activate: Text 30TNT to 4545
(Edited)
Thanks Mitchell for your quick reply.....that's what I thought I should get, and glad you confirmed it.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 103,744 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hello Diane. May I suggest unlocking your phone and buying a SIM card there? Like that you could use data too!
what do you mean about 'unlocking your phone'? Forgive my ignorance....Stopping my prepaid program while I'm away?
Photo of Ray

Ray

• 7,674 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
if you bought your phone through Koodo it is probably locked to their network. You can pay them or a third-party service to unlock it for you so you can use another carrier's network. If you bought your own phone independently, or transferred it from a carrier other than Telus/Koodo then it is already unlocked.
No, I did buy my iphone 4s at a Koodo boutique 2 years ago and have been on a prepaid ever since and.....2 years ago, I bought a roaming add-on for an extra $45.00 for a month, while on a cruise and a few weeks stay in Florida. So if I understand correctly, I just call Koodo and ask them to unlock it for 2 months and start up my prepaid program again upon returning to Canada?

-
Photo of Danny

Danny

• 3,454 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I've been wondering...  I might be in this situation soon.  Can one put their phone on the $15/month holiday hold and get a US roaming add-on?
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 103,744 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yeah but you won't be able to get your plan back. You would need to take what's offered when you come back!
Photo of Danny

Danny

• 3,454 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Thanks.

Well.  I currently have one of the regular plans, so that wouldn't be a problem :)

Thanks, also, for answering another question I had but didn't ask yet - What happens if you take a special plan, move to a regular one, can you get your special one back if it's not being offered anymore.  I'm inferring from what you just said that the answer is "no"
Actually, I do use prepaid and what happened to roamin add-ons? not available anymore? - I like the idea of unlocking my phone and buying a local SIM - good idea! Thanks Ray !
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,344 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Koodo has never offered roaming on prepaid.
Photo of Ray

Ray

• 7,674 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If you are using prepaid now, there is no roaming. Unlock your phone before you go and buy a local SIM when you arrive there, or use Roam Mobility.
...this is definitely what I will do.....thanks Ray

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.