Offer perks to EXISTING customers. ($100 prepaid bonus to new customers only?)

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Not Planned
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: positive tab mention

Offer perks to EXISTING customers. ($100 prepaid bonus to new customers only?)

one person said
"Offering special promos to attract new customers is a legit business practice. [But] [...] that being said, never offering something like that to existing customers is a bad idea in my opinion. To me, this sends a message that once you're a customer, you're far less important than a potential customer." - Philosoraptor (username)

I wish sometimes I would have waited a year to switch to Koodo... because if I had waited, I could have got the $100 bonus per-paid card. I was very disappointed. just because I'm an existing customer, if I get a new phone I can't have it? I'm already a loyal customer... I shouldn't have to be a new customer to be able to get cool new offers.
Photo of Amber Delisle

Amber Delisle

• 1,048 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 141,558 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Original thread for reference: http://community.koodomobile.com/kood... :)
Photo of MatB

MatB

• 32,458 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'm with Koodo since it started, I seen many promos for new customers and some for old customers, I know that any company policy is based on customers satisfaction but customers will always tell you that they are not satisfied
Photo of Jacquie

Jacquie

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Out of all the providers i've been with, koodo has left me feeling the most appreciated. One time I used way more airtime than usual and i called to up my plan. They told me they could switch my plan, I would pay the same per month but i would have more minutes. Holy Shit! Getting more for less! It's a concept! Totally happy with koodo.
Photo of JoJo

JoJo

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Loyalties should come with good perks.... promo should NEVER be just for new customers....
Do you know how damn frustrating it is for a loyal customer to find out that new customers are getting better deals at lower cost than you do just because they are new while those who've been paying faithfully for months and years are still stuck paying a higher price...
It blows....
Cost me 70 per month.... internet not worth crap on my phone, which I was suppose to have for free and chose base on the suggestion of the salesperson... big disappointment, ended up paying full price for a phone that is not worth crap on the internet... and I find the monthly cost to be way way too much... but the salesperson at the koodo store was useless when it came to propose adequate monthly package...
Yep... you guessed it... I am NOT an happy customer....
Photo of J. K. Kopp

J. K. Kopp

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree with you whole-heartedly. I used to be with Telus for my cellular services and Bell for my landline for a very long time. That practice made me quit both, and I have never looked back. At times they call me and ask that I reconsider them. They try to offer me some deals, but even with that, they pale in comparison to what I get and pay for now. In short, it is an ill-advised business strategy. It is build on the premise that "...we have them in the pockets and therefore no point spending on them." They then cross their fingers, and hope that the customer does not get educated. I got some news for them; the customer is smarter than they give them credit. There is a saying in my culture that goes; "when the ignorant becomes enlightened, the enlightened is in trouble". So, way to go stupid business minders...you will lose eventually.
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just remember to look at the dates of threads when commenting on them :) This thread is over 8 months old and 'bumping' old threads (commenting so that the thread reaches top of newest threads) is a no-no in the community.
Photo of J. K. Kopp

J. K. Kopp

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Well thanks, good point. Having said that, has anything changed with these service providers? If the answer is no, then well, why wouldn't we comment on it. The point is, if the same attitude persists, it really does not matter when the comment was made. It just means that the customer is still the recipient of the raw end of the stick. Ain't it?
Photo of Amber Delisle

Amber Delisle

Agreed Kopp. We still want it, and I'm sure others do as well. He commented because he agrees. If that's a problem, then we aren't in a democratic country
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,344 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This has been brought up many times before, and I still only kind of agree. I think there should be a bigger incentive to upgrade than what is currently offered - maybe not the same gift card offer, but at least a Tab credit, bill credit, etc.

The problem with offering it on new activations *and* upgrades is there is a significant amount of expense the carrier (any, not just Koodo) would have to take on just to ensure continued revenue vs. attracting new customers, which is additional income they wouldn't have had otherwise. The same tactic is used with banks and grocery stores with whatever "points" programs they advertise ie. "Sign up for X Mastercard today and get 50,000 points!" or whatever the promotion is. They come and go all the time. It's the nature of sales.

The other issue is abuse and possible churning. There might be a way to regulate it, but Tab redemptions don't do a credit check and adding a line is also easier to do (or the customer is already pre-approved for) than performing a new credit assessment with another carrier. So a customer could theoretically do an upgrade to a free phone with gift cards, resell the phone for profit/help pay off any negative Tab, then add lines to the account, do redemptions on those lines to get additional gift cards/reselling... or they could just walk away with their "free" phone, unlock it, and leave Koodo altogether and get the exact same plan with Virgin (barring 7AM ending E/W unlimited times and voicemail 3 instead of 10) with 10% off and no contract. Then they could do it all over again and flip back if there's another gift card offer. It's a bigger risk the carrier takes.
Photo of Jonathan I

People will still complain about that but that's a potential solution. Or I think it should be a bill credit to the customer after the account remains paid on time for let's say the following 2 cycles would be a better idea since it would prevent more churn.
Photo of Amber Delisle

Amber Delisle

yeah. I've had my phone (the same one) with them for about 2 years, and my tab is almost gone... I wish I would have got my phone when that promotion started but I didn't. Now, after 2 years I need a new phone, so I'm looking at other companies as well, seeing what they have to offer me, because there really isn't any incentive to keep me with koodo
Photo of Amber Delisle

Amber Delisle

even if they offered something every other year to existing customers, like a discount on a new phone, even if they did it every 3 years.
Photo of Rocky Balboa

Rocky Balboa

• 20,414 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Amber the bill you pay for monthly has Koodo delivered the services you payed for?Have you had any issues with the network or your phone not working? You shouldn't have to stay with Koodo for the perks for being loayl for to stay because of the awesome customer service and the services you are paying for. Like any bill do you call your hydro company for discounts on your bill?Or when you fill up a gas tank regularly at a specific station...Is there incentive for you to pay any bill?
Photo of Amber Delisle

Amber Delisle

yeah, but with hydro we have to just pay because there is no competition. I go to gas stations that have loyalty rewards, or the cheapest prices.
Photo of Rocky Balboa

Rocky Balboa

As a customer you pay your monthly bill for cell phone services. Like any customer, if Koodo is providing you with the service you are paying why is there an issue?You shouldn't stay with the company for the perks but for the service you are paying. Do you ask your hydro company for a discount?Do you ask for discounts if you pay gas bill?Like any bill you shouldn't have to expect perks if any company is delivering the services you're paying for.
Photo of gerrydee

gerrydee

• 452 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
My tab was around -$45. I asked if they could help me out and give me a break and they said no. I ended up paying full price for the cell. while new customers got it for $100. less, so it's not like I didn't try.
Photo of Rocky Balboa

Rocky Balboa

Depends on how much you pay for your rate plan,tenure,payment history previous credits. Koodo has many things we have to factor before issuing any credit.
Photo of gerrydee

gerrydee

• 452 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm paying $82/month plus taxes, been there since they started up, never missed a payment, buy a new phone every year, wife one year, my turn the next. But IMO, Koodo could give the new clients $50. as an incentive and for their clients over 3 years or so $50. It would keep everybody happy and give new customers an incentive to stay longer.
Photo of Amber Delisle

Amber Delisle

agreed gerry
Photo of sunnysweetz

sunnysweetz

• 1,054 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Gerry have you been with them since 2008? I have also been a long time customer and had repeated billing issues and phone issues. Almost left in 2011 but rival companies didn't have things in their plan I needed so I stayed although I still have problems with their service.
Photo of Jacquie

Jacquie

It sucks when you have a bunch of bad luck with phones and you have to keep shelling out. Before i got my smart phone that was happening to me constantly but this LG seems to be good. I have a positive balance on my tab
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you aware that you can call in to receive a 10% discount on your bill instead of accumulating positive tab credits?
Photo of Jacquie

Jacquie

I didn't know that. I would probably still do that tab tho
Photo of michael macconnell

michael macconnell

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am now looking at switching carriers since I have no tab and looking at a new phone. why should I have to pay more for the same phone than a new customer? Nothing like taking your current client base for granted. Just waiting for the next big promotion at their competitors and I am gone
Photo of KaneSlavik

KaneSlavik

• 6,464 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Michael, most, if not all service providers do not offer additional perks to their long term customers. You seem to be incredibly confused about this subject. You claim that if regular businesses started running this way, people would be angry(which businesses do run this way) but yet you do not expect anything from Koodo. So which is it Michael?
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Fido: FidoDOLLARS - http://www.fido.ca/web/content/whyfid...

Virgin: Member Benefits - http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/members...

WIND: Better Together Savings ($5-25/month off depending on number of active lines) - http://www.windmobile.ca/why-wind/way...

Rogers: Rogers First Rewards - http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.port...

Nothing to see from Bell, Telus, or Koodo. So, I dispute your assertion that most service providers offer no additional perks.
Photo of KaneSlavik

KaneSlavik

• 6,464 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Koodo: 10% no tab discount, or build positive tab balance to $150.
Photo of Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox

• 50,798 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Michael, if you want the gift card, activate a new line. Just to be clear, once again, I did not miss the point....actually. The gift cards are given for NEW ACTIVATIONS. When you signed up all those years ago, I'll bet you got a promotion of some kind as well. Call it what you will.

I'm all for rewarding long standing customers but NOT the same os new customers. I've stated before...

Yes, I do agree some loyalty should be rewarded but definately not the same as a new customer. Something different and unique to the customer being rewarded. Those that are threatening to leave are, by definition, not loyal.
Photo of brad sledz

brad sledz

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Why Zaphod? Is treating everyone equally something that we should be teaching our children is wrong?!
Photo of Ben Walburger

Ben Walburger

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
sometimes it depends on where you go i have found that going where i originally signed up (a koodo kiosk) i do not get offers when upgrading my phone but just recently i found a mobileshop kiosk that offers multiple different providers including koodo and there if you stick with koodo and upgrade your phone you get the $100 prepaid card for upgrading and being loyal
its a marketing practice where there's competition there will be benefits where there is no competition less chance of benifits
Photo of Amber Delisle

Amber Delisle

Where was this? i wanna go there!
Photo of Jonathan I

That is incorrect. We do not currently offer any gift cards for upgrades with Koodo. I work at the Mobile Shop at Dufferin/Steeles Superstore and I have managed 2 kiosks prior.

We had this offer last year only twice and so far I don't see any sign of Koodo giving us that opportunity again.

We have some $50 gift card renewal offers for a handful of EOL devices on Telus and we have some bill credits for Rogers/Fido upgrades (after 2-3 bill cycles) but all of the other advertised offers are for new activations/add-a-line only.

Remember: the carriers pay for those gift cards.
Photo of Ben Walburger

Ben Walburger

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
lethbridge alberta canada real canadian superstore has a kiosk that during the christmas season offered gift cards to any gaining of a phone whether new customer or upgrading phone im pretty sure its still going on but i'd have to check
Photo of Fosia Core

Fosia Core

• 60 Points
if you go to blacks photography they sell koodo and they give 500 digital prints free with any phone activation .or renewal for existing customers
Photo of Jonathan I

That's pretty cool, but I doubt that the majority of Koodo's customer base are serious photographers... that seems like a niche promotion. If there were tab credits, bill credits, or even a small gift card, it would do a lot better. Money talks.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.