offer to receive $200 bill credit with purchase of a new phone disappeared

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I received a "star" notification when I logged into Koodo Mobile's self-serve site last week. It told me I would get up to $200 back as credit towards my next bill if I upgraded to certain phones. I believe the offer was to expire March 31.

I was ready to take up the offer and upgrade to a Pixel 2 64gb and now the offer is gone and the phone is out of my cart. Can someone tell me what happened? The offer was not expiring yet.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • annoyed

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,654 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Promotions can disappear at any time. Do you recall if the Pixel 2 was on the list of phones and if so, how much credit was offered (says "up to $200", indicating that not all of the phones get the same discount). Maybe an employee can look into your account to see if this was a personalized offer and what happened in your case.
Photo of Erik

Erik

$200 on tab large on the Pixel 2, in addition to discounts on the phone and the remainder on my tab. I understand offers can disappear but why indicate on the offer that is good until April 1 (I said March 31 in my original post but it was actually April 1. I just remembered that it was no rush and i could complete the transaction anytime this month).
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 113,356 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You have to switch your plan from one of Tab L plan if you use Tab L.
If the offer was to switch to Tab L to get deal, then it's not real deal IMO.

Take look Tab L plans. It's start from $79 for 1GB. You can get same 1 GB + Ulm min for $55. You might save up to $200, but you will pay more with plan on Tab L.

They have good deals on phones right now even on Tab M. You might not get extra discount, but I wouldn't take Tab L for it.
(Edited)
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I saw this promotion on Tuesday as well... the promotion included a $150 credit on tab M. I was debating between the Pixel 2 and the S8, but with the stated April 1 expiry I thought I'd sleep on it and complete the order Wednesday. I woke up Wednesday and saw the offer had disappeared. I was out of the country until late this evening so haven't been able to call... I don't understand why the offer would have an explicitly stated expiry of April 1 only to vanish the next day.
Photo of canucks4life

canucks4life

• 2,018 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

They yanked it early see below RFD thread would suggest next time take a screenshot and escalate to a supervisor is necessary.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-bill-credit-all-phones-200-150-125-large-medium-small-tab-onli...

Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,172 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
In that thread, several guys with 4,5 lines using the loophole to take activation credit and phones?
Koodo properly had to pull it because of them.
@Eric and Erik: you should go there and blame them.
(Edited)
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 108,656 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Can't blame them if Koodo let a loophole there! Hope they will bring it back.
Photo of Erik

Erik

Are there any Koodo employees who want to try to answer this question?

I've also emailed Koodo twice in the past week and I've received no replies.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 107,602 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
What is there to answer? The promotion is not offered anymore. You should wait for it to come back. 
Photo of Erik

Erik

My issue isn't with an end of a promotion but a premature end of a promotion, after just a few days (I think), that was stated as ending April 1.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 42,136 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@Erik: it is gone and/or was a promotion error, that is likely the answer. 
(Edited)
Photo of Erik

Erik

Someone from Koodo finally replied to my email and extended the promotion for me (I believe, haven't tested it out). So they are resolving this promotion/retraction-of-promotion issue case-by-case, it seems.
Photo of Erik

Erik

Spoke too soon with my last post. I finally tried out the code, it didn't get me back the old deal. It gave me $150 back on my first bill, but all the phone discounts are gone so it'd cost me an extra $250 or so to buy the Pixel 2 now, versus before April 1st (if Koodo had honoured their promotion's deadline).

On the bright side: Koodo gave me a great reason to considering cancelling and I found a great plan elsewhere so over the next year or two, I'll probably save a couple hundred on my plan.
Photo of Erik

Erik

To Dinh: Sorry, I should clarify: They didn't give me a credit exactly. If I buy a new phone, they'll give me a credit on my first bill of $150. The original promotion that was to expire on April 1 was a $200 credit.

To Mayumi: Not sure if you read the original post but I had a promotion that was set to expire April 1. It expired before that, before I could use the promotion. I complained. They eventually tried to make it up to me (I thought, by restoring the promotion) with a new expiration date. When I tried it out, turns out, they gave me a code that didn't get close to my original promotion.

AlI I asked for was to be able to use my promotion that was set to expire April 1 any time up to April 1. I didn't get that. So I'm moving to a $36/m for 3GB and 400mins plan with a competitor instead, no contract.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 42,136 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Erik,
Ok, then I would just wait for the phone you wanted and buy. I saw the Samsung A8 right now on sale. it might a good deal. With the $150 you could buy it for $0 with Medium Tab.
(Edited)
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 62,754 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
For $36/month 3GB is hard to beat. I'd go with that too as well if I were you.
Just to note, Koodo doesn't have any contracts (in the sense of being locked into paying for x amount of years) either.
Photo of Erik

Erik

Hi Dinh,
The phone I wanted isn't on sale anymore. I'm not keen on waiting around hoping for it to become available again. I also didn't particularly like Koodo's explanation that "Keep in mind that promotions come and go, but we never know what the future holds" when all I wanted them to do was restore the April 1 promotion expiry that was a term of the original promotion... Would rather just switch at this point.
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 22,186 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Sorry to see you go. Hope you are happier with your new provider.