number area change

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I want to convert my Alberta number to a Ontario number. I don't want the actual number to change. How do I do that?
Is there a way to do that online or on the phone? I don't have a koodo store near men
Photo of Tooba Ali

Tooba Ali

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of JC

JC

• 1,020 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
u cannot do that, u only want the area code to change right? apparently u need a new number if u want to chabge ur number to ontario number and i believe u can do it on ur account online.
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

• 44,018 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi JC, a change of number is possible via Self Serve except when changing province! A customer must call us and we'll change the number for free (if it's a move). Thank you!
Photo of JC

JC

He just wants to cpnvert he said,without changing his numbers.
Photo of JC

JC

And if u can see under this comment i told him that it was on self serve if he wants to change his number :)
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

• 44,018 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Koodo Guy, this is odd as it should not give you this option. Thank you for letting us know though, we'll have a look into it and correct this glitch. Thank you!
Photo of JC

JC

u can go to self serve then choose mobile phone and the under it u can see that there's
an option to change ur number.
Photo of Tooba Ali

Tooba Ali

when i got my koodo plan i asked them about it and they said they can program my existing number (Alberta) to become an Ontario number without me having to change my number, even the area code should remain the same.
the option you describe above asks me to change my number. i want to keep the same number
Photo of JC

JC

u can still keep the same number tho as long as u have the canda wide so that u will not charge any long distance calls i am in ab right now but i still have my mb number. i just rrecently moved here, ii talked to one of the agent on koodo, they told me that it doesnt matter if im not gonna change my numbe. r
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 144,446 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Tooba,

Not sure what you mean by programming your Alberta number to become an Ontario one... that is physically impossible as JC pointed out :)

You can keep your Alberta number no matter where you live, but obviously people who are not with Koodo and try to call you from Ontario, might have to pay LD to reach you.

If you do decide to change your number to an Ontario one, you'll need to call Koodo (*611) but chances you get to keep even your last 4 digits are very slim... still it's worth a try!
Photo of Jorden

Jorden, Mobile Master

• 33,404 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
In theory this is possible, but EXTREMELY unlikely.

First of all your number refers to 3 areas.

First your area code (403, 780 or 587) refers to south, north or all of Alberta respectifly.

The next 3 numbers refer to your specific city, the last 4 refer specifically to you.

In order for you to make this work the way you want it to, you have to figure out what city has the same middle three numbers as your current Alberta one, and then you have a one in ten thousand chance of getting the same last four digits (assuming someone else doesn't already have it).

In other words, it's a major needle in a haystack for you to try to figure out, and takes a LOT of luck.
Photo of Tooba Ali

Tooba Ali

Thanks everyone. I guess my confusion stemmed from the fact that when I got my koodo number I asked the sales person at the kiosk and she told me that I could just convert my existing number to just be an Ontario number. That is not true as you have all pointed out.
Photo of PerdyTang

PerdyTang

• 362 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It may have been worded incorrectly at point of sign up. You can call in to have your number changed and ask to keep the last 4 digits the same and it they have any numbers available in their number pool with those last 4 numbers they should be able to give it to you.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.