Nokia Lumia 635 what's it like?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
What kind of sim card in a Nokia Lumia 635? Also anyone have this phone? What's it like?
Photo of Penny

Penny

• 686 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Bright screen, very lightweight,camera could be better, otherwise very well done
Photo of Penny

Penny

Do you know what size sim it uses? Thanks!
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

Micro
Photo of Penny

Penny

Thanks!
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,580 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I agree with Chad, it's a great little device for the price just keep in mind that there's not as many apps as other platforms like Android or IOS and you might not find the ones your looking for at times especially if you do banking and stuff with your phone through apps or use other stores apps.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

Oh yeah, forgot about that, yup i have to use shortcuts to web based versions of my bank apps.
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I absolutely disagree with what others have said about it. You can get much more for what you pay for. It doesn't even have a FRONT FACING CAMERA. Buy a Moto G, Alcatel One Pop or Samsung Core LTE. Don't waste your money on a phone like this. I used this phone for a while cause I had to get my others fixed. Worst. phone. ever.

In my opinion, of course.
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,280 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Come on, a Galaxy Core or One Pop?

Valid point about the front-facing camera, if you care about that. I personally care as much about a front-facing camera on a cellphone as I do about a rear-facing camera on a tablet. But to each their own.
Photo of Penny

Penny

I'm with you Ivan; a front facing camera would never be used on my phone. And while it sounds like the rear camera might not be the best it's likely good enough for what I would ever use it for. For the most part I actually use my phone to....well...talk to people and need to have it on me (not in my car or briefcase) even in dirty, noisy and not so picturesque places. I have a good camera and a couple of computers for "real" work but I do like the idea of viewing files and and a GPS. Some of the features options others have mentioned sound good but likely I'll never have time to figure them out let alone use them. I appreciate everyone's comments and I'm going to give the 365 a try. I also like the idea of not paying twice as much for my phone as what I pay for a years worth of service just so I can use it.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 67,104 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The Moto G lacks expandable storage and sports a non-removable battery. While I like the Moto G for its near stock Android experience and zippy performance, lack of expandable storage, especially when you're dealing with 8GB of internal storage to begin with, could be a dealbreaker for some. A device without a selfie camera isn't a dealbreaker for me at least not in this price range, in my opinion.

The Nokia Lumia 635 has expandable storage and a removable battery, is easy to get around on and doesn't require a huge learning curve to master the device. With GPS built-in and access to Nokia's free 'HERE' mapping software, your smartphone transforms into a fully functional standalone GPS unit that never uses data! (Download mapinfo over Wi-Fi).

Gotta love FM radio! Not a huge selling point, but it's interesting to note that some of the more expensive flagships on the market no longer offer this feature. I've used the Nokia Lumia 635 for several months as my daily driver and in all honesty, it was and still is a joy to use. It's also a forgiving device, able to endure the bumps and jostles of everyday.

Battery consumption is okay, I'm getting on average of between eight and ten hours of light to moderate use on a single charge (your results will vary). Call quality is clear both on my end and on the call recipients end.

Overall, the Nokia Lumia 635 is a decent entry level Windows Phone and definitely worth considering if looking for that first smartphone or a phone that won't break the bank. For those who may be looking for an affordable device without all the bells and whistles, again, you can't go wrong with this device, in my opinion.
Photo of Penny

Penny

Thanks and I considered your response when I replied to Rikkster.
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Rikkster has already mentioned the offline GPS capabilities of the 635, so I won't get into that (but I'd like to add that the navigation license is global, meaning that you can use it if you travel), but there are two other great features of this phone.

1. Nokia MixRadio. At first glance, this isn't anything particularly special as it seems like just another music streaming service. It's free to use, but there is a premium option. You can search for various mixes that are to your liking, and even have it create your own mix based on your taste (and there's a lot of music available in other languages as well, if that's your thing). The best part is that you can select up to 4 of these mixes (but not your custom mix), download them via WiFi, and then listen to them on the go without using any mobile data. If you don't like a song that's playing, you may skip it. This is where the free vs. premium comes in. Without paying for the service, you're limited to only skipping 6 songs per hour and having 4 offline mixes. If you pay for it, you have unlimited skips and can download as many mixes as you want (dependent on storage space on your phone, of course).

2. Cortana. This is the Windows Phone 8.1 equivalent of Siri (iPhone 4S+) Google Now (Android). It's a virtual assistant that learns your tastes and can give you information relevant to you at a glance. It's my preferred voice assistant as its natural language recognition capabilities are quite robust. My favourite Cortana feature by far is the automatic prompting when receiving a text message while connected to a headset or Bluetooth (can be turned off if unwanted). Basically, if you get a text, Cortana will inform you that you've received a text, tell you who sent the text and ask you whether to read or ignore it. You reply by speaking back, and if you have it read, you can choose to reply (again, just by speaking to it). 3rd party developers have access to Cortana. For example, FitBit allows for food diary logging via Cortana. IMPORTANT: Cortana is not officially available for the 635 in Canada yet. In order to use Cortana with the 635, you must set your phone region to the US. The only drawback of that is that the weather information provided by Cortana is in Fahrenheit (though you can follow up with asking "In Celsius" after it reads you the forecast. The units for navigation and temperature are whatever you select in those apps, but Cortana is hardwired for US Imperial.
Photo of Penny

Penny

Thanks for your reply and I was thinking about what you wrote when I replied to Rikkster. I hope to give the Mixradio a try when I get the phone.
Photo of Penny

Penny

OK so I’ve had the Lumia 635 sitting on my desk for several months and finally have time to set it up and try it out, get myself the proper SIM and then find Self Serve "change phone" is down. I'm not planning to use this phone except in certain circumstances but am pretty keen to set it up and play around with it a bit before I leave for Toronto next week when I had planned to take this phone and not my old 3710....which never dies no matter what I do to it. I've posted about the "change phone" issue before so know I can phone and Koodo will not charge me but I have no land line phone and will be swapping back and forth frequently to start with. I really don't want to be doing this at my neighbor’s who I barely know and lives about 2 miles away or irritate friends by using their cells either. I'm now wondering if there is anything (part of set up or?) that I can do without an active SIM in the 365 via wifi? I don’t want to mess the thing up either before I have a clue how to actually use it. You know how it is when you drag your feet for a long time before jumping in.....when you finally decide to, you really don’t want to WAIT ANOTHER MINUTE!!

Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

• 60,828 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Penny,

I was in a similar situation a while ago. I was able to get them to swap out the SIM number when I called from my Koodo device. They will ask the new SIM card number, then they will let you hang up, he will confirm the change and give you 15-20 minutes to try everything out. The rep will then call you back, which should be received on the new device. 

As for setting up the phone, I've never used a Windows phone device, but on the android/iOS side of things I was able to always setup my phone completely before popping in the SIM. I would assume that you could do the same thing with your Lumia device.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.