new phone plan for foreign student

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
One of my family friend's daughter will be coming to Canada for school. She is in need of a new phone number, so that she can keep contact with her mother. Can she sign up for a plan? Will she be able to prepay for a year? Thanks in advance.
Photo of Sam Leung

Sam Leung

  • 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • confused

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

  • 97,682 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
For prepaid no problem! There's no explicit provision for prepaying for 12 months of service ahead of time but you can put that much on the account, although I'm not sure there's much point. Keep in mind if she wants to use a credit card it must be registered to a Canadian address. But top-up vouchers can be purchased for use.

There is more info on the matter in the link I just posted above.
Photo of BobTheElectrician


  • 67,578 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
On prepaid, it makes more sense to get a small plan to begin with decent voice and text boosters to actually gauge consumption over a few months. Since you have no hard-set data ahead of time, buying vouchers as you need them if you don't have access to a Canadian credit card is a better strategy than putting out a lot of money upfront.

International texting is included in the base plan. Keep in mind that incoming calls from abroad cost the same as domestic calls (no surcharge), but outgoing long distance can be expensive.
Photo of Sam Leung

Sam Leung

  • 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your replies. Is it possible to use my Canadian credit card for payment and use her international address and personal information? For a fixed data plan instead of a prepaid sim. Thanks again.
Photo of BobTheElectrician


  • 67,558 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The account holder and credit card information has to match when setting up an account. The account and responsilbility for it would have to be in our name.

You are free to loan your phone out to whoever you want as long as you understand you are on the hook for any charges.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

  • 107,602 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you don't want to be responsible for her I know Fido offers the possibility to sign up with international credit cards. I've had friends from France who had an account with them
Photo of Erwin


  • 23,576 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Or they can get a Canadian bank account and get a Visa Debit which works 100% as a pre-authorized payment plus they get 10% rebate each month. So they'll eventually get one more free.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

  • 203,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I do believe that you need a SIN to do that.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.