New Phone automatically grabbed 150mb of data during setup

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: SS App mentions

Hi, I recently got a new phone at a Koodo kiosk and while i was speaking with the clerk setting up my new phone, it downloaded 150mb worth of data on my plan. I don't understand how this happened, as she had it connected to the wifi in the booth. The amount downloaded was more than i had already accrued from the start of the month, and it was half of my 300mb limit for the month.... really inconvenient!
 The new phone is a Moto G Plus, and all the data seemed to be downloaded by the Google Play app... which didnt really clear anything up for me.
I'd like to call customer support about it but i see there is a fee for some services, and im not sure what this problem would fall under, or even if there's anything they could do about it. Maybe I should go all the way out to the mall again and talk to the folks at the kiosk? How should I go about clearing this up? 
Thanks for any help you can give!
Photo of Ana

Ana

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • bummed

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,364 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You can change your Play Store settings to only update apps over WiFi; sometimes this gets missed during setup.

Do you see the data usage in self serve (either online or through the app) or is it in the built-in data counter? The built-in one may currently be showing all activity and it's throwing you off. If it's on your account then it's a worry.

Data usage can't really be undone but you're better off contacting customer service for this issue at 1-866-995-6636 or *611 from your phone during operating hours:

Hours of operation (local time):

• Monday − Friday: 9am - 9pm
  • Saturday: 9am - 7pm
  • Sunday: 9am - 7pm
There's no fee to call in for issues you can't handle yourself, like technical glitches, billing issues, changing a SIM card, getting your PUK code, seasonal hold, etc.
(Edited)
Photo of Ana

Ana

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi Jonathan,
I am usually very on top of my data usage and have all the settings for apps and bg data controlled. This happened while the new phone was in the koodo rep's hands though, so there isnt much i could have done! 
I checked all three of those places (phone's data counter, app data counter, and self serve website) before figuring out what was going on. The koodo self serve website shows 153mb downloaded on the day and at the time i was getting the new phone (and another 43mb 15 minutes later, probably before i noticed and turned off data). 
I'll try giving them a call tomorrow I guess. Thanks for the prompt response, and reassuring me about the customer service line!
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 67,104 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Most Android devices, when powered on for the very first time, will automatically enable mobile data. You didn't know this at time of sale, plus you're new to this phone.

Customers must ask the clerk to disable data during the initial setup of their phone. The problem; some customers might not be aware that data is enabled automatically, so they wouldn't see any reason to ask to have data disabled in the first place. Customers may also think that because it's a brand new phone, data is disabled by default.

Koodo will likely show some leniency given how quickly you found the error and that you're new to the phone.
Photo of thelouisguy

thelouisguy

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I know I am two weeks too late but the same thing happened to me. The sales rep handed me my new phone and it had already used 500 mb. I called customer service the same day and they waved the first day of data usage. No hassle. Must happen often. Hope you called when it happened. They can tell hour by hour when the data was used and if it was all in the first few hours, most reps will understand.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.