Need to be able to put account on Hold at a reduced cost WITHOUT loosing plan.

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I Travel for work and am out of the Country, usually overseas, for a month or more at a time for roughly half the year. Some of my other colleagues with other carriers (Canada, USA, Europe) are able to put their account on HOLD while they are away for extended periods of time. These carriers either reduce their plan to $0 or a nominal fee $10-15 for a specified duration. And when they re-enable their account, they have the SAME plan they had when they left.
Koodo needs to implement the same thing. I'm paying $60+tax for services I don't even touch while I'm away but need my current plan options while I'm home.
I would be happy paying $10-$15/mth while I'm away to keep background services like voicemail and call forwarding active if I could return to my previous plan upon my return. Obviously, this service could be limited to a certain number of consecutive days and total days/months per year.
Thanks.
Photo of CVT

CVT

• 228 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,424 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Seasonal Hold is available for $15/month (max 6 months), but you mentioned keeping your plan, which is not the case here as it will be considered a plan change if you opt for it. Koodo is the only carrier that does it this way and you bring up a good idea of modifying it so it doesn't affect your plan. Something to consider.
Is there any latest update on this suggestion as it is now 3 years old?
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 95,990 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The process is still the same. Switching to the Seasonal Hold keeps your number, but not your plan.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 204,060 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Maybe since they are loosing revenue and tab contributions during this time they could do it only for users who's tab balance is within 30% of being paid off. Or have clear tabs.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 144,446 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It's been brought up before and I wholeheartedly agree with you: the seasonal hold should put the plan on hold...not just the number!
Photo of Moonmack

Moonmack

• 4,000 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Other than keeping your number what is the point of seasonal hold? I guess you don't have to pay off your tab but at $15/month maybe just pay off the tab and hope for a gift card promo when you want to return?
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 144,446 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Really Moonmack, personally I see no use at all the way it is now, except to keep your Tab flowing...
But for people who brought their own device and are "Tab free", it would be much cheaper to port out the number to for example Speakout ($25 for a whole year) or VOIP (free, but not possible for every number) and then come back to Koodo a few months later with a new account and port the number back in.
(Edited)
Photo of CVT

CVT

Keeping my Plan is concern #1 for me! I need my 6GB plan when I'm home.
Number is important as well... and it would just be easier to call Koodo or go to self serve and pay a few bucks per month than to deal with porting back and forth and picking new plans all the time.
Photo of Myke

Myke

• 45,090 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Here's me question to everyone

How would you program it into the system to make it work like you want it to?
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

Myke, with a due respect, we are customers and really it wouldn't be up.to the customer to figure out how to program it into the back end. That's for Koodo to figure out if it's feasible and if so, how to program it. Anything is possible, haven't you ever seen a Disney movie?
Photo of Myke

Myke

Let's not mix fantasy with reality here ;).

Let's be honest here. If there was a better way of doing it, Koodo would of figured it out by now(I reference the fixed data amount addons not being compatable with the data saver tier structuring issue).

And really, all seasonal hold is, is a discounted rate to keep the account active while not paying full price for your normal rate plan.

I can appreciate wanting another way for it to happen, constantly asking for it without providing examples isn't really going to get anyone anywhere.
Photo of CVT

CVT

For a simple but crude option: Same as they do now with the Seasonal plan but they would note the plan and rates at the time of the switch. Seasonal plan could easily be adjusted to include voicemail and/or call forwarding.
Like Chad said, that's for Koodo to figure out.
Photo of Myke

Myke

Except that if the plan isn't available at the time of switching back, a new plan must be selected. You cannot obtain a plan that isn't currently available.
Photo of Moonmack

Moonmack

• 4,000 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Could you keep the same plan and fee but cut services and provide a rebate. So if I pay $50 a month for my plan there would be no change for a seasonal hold but I would add data and voice turned off for a -$35 fee. So $50-$35 is the $15 seasonal fee but you don't tell the computer the plan has changed.

I think this idea is a crude hack but is it likely to work? It would require an add-on that has a negative rate and effectively prevents the service from working.
Photo of CVT

CVT

Yes you can... I've done it. It took a lot of time on the phone with various tiers of managers, but anything is possible. Either way, the people at Koodo I'm sure would figure out a more streamlined way to make it happen if there was enough demand for it.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

So let's say it can't be done for the current plans, fine.

Can't the new plans be reprogrammed with an internal suspend switch?

not knowing how the back end works or how to program outside visual Basic puts me at a disadvantage.
Photo of Myke

Myke

Well all accounts can be suspended. Not sure what you're meaning here.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

As in the plan is still in place but marked as suspended. So suspend would no longer need to be a rate plan change
Photo of Myke

Myke

Well yeah, you can always do that, but you have to pay price of the rate plan even with the account suspended.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

Yes now, but if a modification could be made to add a price change for the plan instead of a change of plan
Photo of mattjs

mattjs

• 15,658 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I really don't think that 'implementation' is the problem here (ie: the billing system).

Koodo is part of a multi-billion dollar telecommunications conglomerate with a vast array of extremely intelligent engineers and accountants on hand. Surely they are more then capable of ensuring their 'billing system' functions exactly as desired.

I think the reason this hasn't been implemented is that 1) Koodo doesn't see it as a priority, or 2) the current system functions exactly as they desire it to, which includes migrating customers on grandfathered plans to inmarket plans upon return.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 144,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
^ star, mattjs :)
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

Agree
Photo of CVT

CVT

I think you hit the nail in the face there Matt. I just think they should change their model a bit or at least start keeping new plans a little more in line with the old plans. They are essentially blocking me from migrating because they don't have a 'new' 6GB plan, thereby blocking me from taking advantage of their current seasonal plan.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 205,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Completely agree with Mattjs, wow did I just say that haha ;-)
If this idea is implemented then it should only be available for ppl without a negative tab balance as it would confuse the 24 month rule and ppl would take advantage of it.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

I know right
Photo of Adam Hodge

Adam Hodge

• 60 Points
Confusing thread above. Could I get a clear yes or no answer as to whether suspending a line on an account is

a) possible for a reduced cost/month during the suspension period
b) going to cause a potential plan change for that line when it is resumed

I'm currently looking at moving over here from Telus, and we have 1 (out of 4) lines that would need to be suspended for a few months.

Thanks
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 95,958 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Switching to a Seasonal Hold plan is considered a plan change. You have to select from a fresh plan as available at the time you switch from the Seasonal Hold plan to one of the plans available in market at the time of the switch,  upon your return.

So to answer your questions a) yes. b) yes.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.