My plan isCAN DATA 300 MB 300MINBut I have been charged after 230 min,why?!

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of Babak Ashraghi

Babak Ashraghi

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 187,022 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Have you recently just changed plans? If so your plan is pro-rated based on the remaining days of your billing cycle.

So if you you changed to this plan 7 days into your billing cycle, then 230 mins means you had this plan for 23 days
Photo of Babak Ashraghi

Babak Ashraghi

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have changed my plan after 21 days :
from 16 Nov. to 7 Dec. my plan was CAN 300 ,its mean that my air time limitation was (21*10)= 210 min
from 7 Dec to 16 Dec ,my plan was CAN 500,my limitation was (9*16.6)=150 min
210+150+360 min ,but I have charged after 230 min??!
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

Anything over 210 mins between Nov.16-Dec7 will be charged.

Anything over 150mins between Dec7-16 will be charged.

So if you 0 mins between Nov16-dec7 and then you used 290mins between dec7-16, you will be charged 140mins overage
Photo of RudyW

RudyW

• 21,890 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yeap. That's how it works. With every cellphone company. You don't get all the minutes if it's not a full month. Since you changed your plan mid monthish you get your minutes prorated.
Photo of Jennifer Benstead

Jennifer Benstead

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My advice switch to Chatr Wireless. for $35 a month you get unlimited talk and text; and the service and coverage is awesome! they run off Rogers towers so the coverage is 1st rate.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

If your gonna do chatr and be restricted to a zone you might as well go Mobilicity and get unlimited everything for $29
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 61,656 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This is the type of situation that causes a lot of ill will. Consumers feel the system is rigged to milk the max and provide the minimum.

That pro-rated algorithm is for the birds. If I am a growing concern, and up my spending in an orderly fashion, should my suppliers penalize me if I spend more with them? There's certainly no question of a "refund" if I spend less!!!

Clearly extra minutes were bought to accommodate extra usage within a certain time frame, and if the subscriber maintains the more inflated plan for over 30 days, Koodo should recognize he acted in good faith and refund the overage, especially if total use for the month was less than the 360 calculated above, and the total cost of the "inflated, backdated plan" would have been all of $5.

At the very least, there should be some form of "accident forgiveness" that would let the subscriber maybe once a year readjust a bill that would have been much more in their favour if another plan (other than unlimited, obviously) that had been subsequently chosen were in effect earlier. Maybe paid out from or credited to the Tab. No real cash need change hands right away, everyone smiles and customer is encouraged to stay with supplier.

Doesn't have to be that way. ConsumerCellular in the US will let you change your plan at any time right up to the billing day. Bump it up, or bump it down, whatever you have chosen on billing day is what is used to calculate what you pay.

Self-serve site shows minutes/texts/data used to date as well as anticipated usage if you continue at the same rate in a clear bar graph, so you are clearly able to manage your plan at any time.

Other US suppliers will sell you buckets of minutes, texts and data that carry over.

And then there's Koodo's Quebec-only plan with unlimiited minutes/1 gig for $50. Maybe a little competition is good for the system after all.

If you see an answer you like, please give it a star

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.