My plan has 500 minutes. Are incoming calls deducted from my anytime minutes?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Also wondering if my anytime minutes would be deducted for incoming calls (someone else who is within Canada calling me). Again, I have the $15 base plan and $25 add-on for 500 minutes and $15 add-on for 100MB data
Photo of Nicole Otieno

Nicole Otieno

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

• 60,828 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Unless somewhere in your plan details it is specified that incoming calls are unlimited, yes your incoming calls will be deducted from your anytime minutes.

Also, if this is a monthly plan you have, you should consider upgrading to one of the newer plans, you would save quite a bit and get much more out of it. Ex: Ontario plan: 500mins, 500MB data for 40$. Just something to keep in mind.
Photo of Sacha Milojevic

Sacha Milojevic

• 60 Points
This is so ridiculous. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Canadian phone charges suck.
Photo of Nicole Otieno

Nicole Otieno

Thank you for your reply
Photo of Nicole Otieno

Nicole Otieno

When I went to the stall the sales rep said that as an international student with no credit history in Canada I do not qualify for the monthly plans but that I can get a prepaid account. Is that- in fact- true? Can I still upgrade to a monthly plan?
Photo of Mitchell Palmater

Mitchell Palmater

• 12,976 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
There are 3 possible outcomes to a credit check at the time of application.

Yes - You can get a phone for the subsidized price and get service.
No - You do not qualify for a monthly plan or a phone for the subsidized price.
and finally,
Spending limit - You are approved for service as long as your bill never exceeds 200 dollars. When on a spending limit you will not qualify for a phone at the subsidized price and will have to purchase it at full retail price.

With no credit history it is possible you will be approved but with a spending limit. Your best bet is to try and get on a monthly plan and see what happens.
Just bring two pieces of ID (passport and social insurance for example) and see what happens
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 61,868 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There is no disadvantage to being "stuck" with a prepaid plan unless you are a heavy user of services. Your minutes, texts and data never expire as long as you keep your prepaid base-plan alive.

If and when you do "upgrade" to a monthly plan, you will lose whatever balances you have on your prepaid, so do that move carefully.

To answer the original question, incoming calls, regardless of their origin, are charged as regular minutes against your pre-paid or monthly allotment.
(Edited)
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 139,992 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There is one minor inconvenience in that Koodo prepaid services currently only work within Canada.
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 61,868 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
True, but having another pre-paid US phone is still cheaper than roaming with Koodo or any other Canadian supplier for many folks other than casual users.
Photo of Anna

Anna

• 6,126 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hey Nicole! Everyone here is absolutely correct about incoming calls. Unless it is specified in your plan details, your incoming call minutes will be used up from your 500 min booster. Also, just to clarify the Spending Limit Program. If that indeed is the credit class that you qualify for when you try to to activate a postpaid account, you will be able to subsidize a maximum of 175$ on the tab, the remaining balance of your device would need to be paid out outright in store. Furthermore, after 6 months of good payment history (if all of your payments are done on time and there is no suspension or backed out payments), your account will automatically get upgraded to the next credit class higher up. Hope this helps! :)
Photo of Mitchell Palmater

Mitchell Palmater

• 12,976 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Anna.

Although this is the case sometimes, more often than not I find myself unable to give customers any subsidy on the device when the spending limit program is in place.
Could you verify?
Thanks!
Photo of Anna

Anna

• 6,126 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hey Mitchell! On the Spending Limit Program the customer has a maximum of 175$ that they can put on the tab. I verified just to be sure, and it's indeed $175. You can also find the information at this link http://koo.do/1L6Hf8t. Hope this clarifies!
Photo of Nicole Otieno

Nicole Otieno

Thank you for the clarification. Just to be clear, though, I had my own unlocked phone in my hand and the sales representative even helped me to put the prepaid sim card in it. I obviously did not need to buy a new phone and thus I did not need the tab. So I don't understand why my lack of credit hstory in Canada was the problem if they use it for customers buying a phone. 

Having said that, I suppose you're right Bob. It's just that in the past I've gotten so used to the knowledge that everything I have is unlimited that the idea of limited minutes and data is a bit terrifying. But to be honest I'm not a heavy user and barely talk on the phone anyway. My only worry is that I call home a lot and I know every minute I spend talking to my family back home counts as 5 minutes on my plan. If I change my base plan to the $35 option, where I have unlimited calls from 5pm in the evening and during weekends, would I be able to make international calls without worrying about the time?
Photo of Nicole Otieno

Nicole Otieno

I mean, can I make international calls during the unlimited period without worrying about the time I'm spending on a call?
Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

• 60,828 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
it depends.
If you place the call, you are charged an international rate
If you receive the call, as long as your in Canada, it will count within your unlimited evenings and weekends regardless where the call originates from