Moving to the US

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I'm moving to the US soon for a few years and I would like to keep my phone number for when I get back. Is there a way to keep my account 'suspended' during this time, and what would be the fee?
Photo of Alexandre Ellis

Alexandre Ellis

  • 72 Points

Posted 1 year ago

  • 1
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

  • 196,772 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If for a few years, your best bet is to port to a voip provider online
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

  • 97,688 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You would even get to keep using it if you ported to a voip provider and would only need data access if you wanted to conveniently call to or receive calls from Canada.
Photo of BobTheElectrician


  • 67,622 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
A US VoIP provider can forward your Cdn calls to your new US number very cheaply.

As Goran stated, you can continue to make and receive Cdn calls wherever you have wifi access if you install an app like Zoiper on your handset.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

  • 93,798 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
And with some VoIP providers, you can hold it for about $0.85 per month plus a penny a minute for calls placed to it while you are in the USA. All your Canadian friends can call you at no additional cost to them.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.