Motorola V551 2005 FLIP PHONE

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
Good morning!
I have an unlocked Motorola V551 FLIP PHONE from 2005 that I just threw my koodo SIM card into (from an LG A340 flip phone).
It cannot locate a network. When I check the "network setup" menu it asks from Band, Type and Speed. I have it selected to "automoatic" (versus 850/1900 or 900/1800) for Band, and "automatic" (versus "manual" for type) and finally "fast" (versus "slow" "medium" or "continuous") for Speed.

How can I help this poor old phone find the network?
Photo of Sarah-Mae Adam

Sarah-Mae Adam

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 41,956 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sarah-Mae,
Koodo uses the 3G 850/1900 for talk
I am not sure if the V551 supports 3G or just 2G and if Koodo/Telus supports 2G network anymore. However, you could try to set the phone to 850/1900 and see if it works.
(Edited)
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,634 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This technology is still in use, just not by Telus and Bell (and their subsidiaries) who used to operate CDMA networks at the time. When they decided to adopt GSM 3G, it didn't make any sense to develop a different 2G network (since they had CDMA). Rogers and its subsidiaries (that never ran CDMA networks) still use the 2G network.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can pick up a replacement for about $80 if you want a current phone for those emergency calls.
Photo of Gloria Taylor

Gloria Taylor

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Since you are on the topic, what would be a good simple flip phone available for prepaid.......no bells and whistles    my sister has an LG380 flip phone and so maybe it would work?  About 6 years old....works fine except no network connected at the moment.  I need it for 102 year old mother who is in rehab wing of hospital after hip replacement Dec29.   A phone would allow outgoing calls free........otherwise she can't call as it is long distance on their phones and not allowed.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'd just stop by a Koodo kiosk or a Loblaw store & pick up a cheap flip phone. If your sister want to offer her phone, you would want to be sure which network it works on before spending anything on a plan for it.
Photo of Gloria Taylor

Gloria Taylor

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks again, I'll check out Superstore, Never thought about them.