Motorola Moto G3 (XT 1540) not getting 6.0.1 update

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: no longer relevant

I have a Motorola Moto G3, witch is running Android 6.0 on the December 2015 security patch, and the 6.0.1 update is released since a while, and looking on Telus side, the same phone is on October 2016 6.0.1... Is the update released on this phone, or not. If it is, is there a way to flash the phone to the most recent update.
Photo of Maxence

Maxence

• 44 Points
  • frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,420 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hopefully you'll get the update in the next few days. If you flash the phone with a custom ROM, that'll mean unlocking the bootloader, which voids the warranty and when the official update arrives, you'll have to re-lock the bootloader. Not worth the time or the effort, in my opinion. I understand your frustration. Better to just wait it out.
(Edited)
Photo of Marty McFly

Marty McFly

• 1,130 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Not impressed with that if that is the case. I believe that if a phone is upgradeable to 6.0, it should continue to get 6.X.X upgrades up to 7.0 at least. If it's capable of handling 7.0+, then that's a bonus.
Photo of Marty McFly

Marty McFly

What I'd like to know, since there is no bloat on the G3, is it Motorola that pushes out the updates or is it Telus?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 203,908 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Telus, is there not the self serve app for Koodo or Telus pre-installed McFly?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 203,908 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Telus, is there not the self serve app for Koodo or Telus pre-installed McFly?
Photo of Marty McFly

Marty McFly

I don't know if the self-serve was pre-installed or if I installed it. It's there though. What does that have to do with firmware updates?
(Edited)
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

@Marty. The manufacturer decides whether to continue supporting a device or not. While your phone may be capable of running Android 7, manufacturers often stick to the 18-month rule from the date of initial release, (July 2015). That said, nothing is written in stone. Some older devices like the Galaxy Note 3 recently received an upgrade to Marshmallow, when the device was only slated to receive Lollipop.

Correction: the Note 3 did not get Marshmallow. The article in the International Business Times is incorrect, despite saying that it's an official update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It's not. I compared the PDA and CSC codes over on SamMobile and the codes are identical for Android 5.0. Apologies for any confusion.

http://www.ibtimes.com/android-601-ma...

Hopefully, you've received the update by now. If you want to voice your concern, a petition has been started urging Motorola to include the Moto G (3rd. gen) in the Android Nougat update.

https://www.change.org/p/motorola-ple...
(Edited)
Photo of Dorothy

Dorothy

• 60 Points
I have a question for a Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen) person - When I text, I can only see 2 or 3 lines of my text even if it's a much longer text. Then when I hit "Send," I can see it all. Is there any way I can see the whole text BEFORE I hit "send" ??
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Is it the keyboard that's hiding the rest of the text message, Dorothy? To hide the keyboard and to display the rest of the text message, tap the downward arrow symbol to the left of the home button.
Photo of Marty McFly

Marty McFly

I doubt that problem is in relation to the topic of this thread.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

@Dorothy, if my answer doesn't resolve the issue, please create a new topic with the same question by clicking this link: https://community.koodomobile.com/koo...

Did you get your update yet, Marty?
Photo of Marty McFly

Marty McFly

As of this posting, nope. :(
Photo of Marty McFly

Marty McFly

I did get a security patch dated July 1, 2016. As for the firmware, it still sits at 6.0. :(
Photo of Maxence

Maxence

• 44 Points
Well, at least you have it, I'm still on December 2015...
Photo of Marty McFly

Marty McFly

I don't understand why the inconstancy exists. The same make and model of phone on the same network should ALL be getting the exact same firmware and patch updates.
Photo of Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Today, still, my phone is running 6.0. I don't think we're going to get anything more than this.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.