Moto G weakening signal

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I've been using a gen 2 Moto G with a Koodo prepaid plan since last December (around Christmas). Normally I've had very good reception, either full strength or very close to it. For the past couple of weeks, however, I have been getting a very weak cell signal (one bar, sometimes even less). The issue is far more bizarre, however. If I remove/replace my SIM, turn airplane mode on and off, or even restart my phone, I get a signal as strong as I used to. After 30 seconds or so, however, I can see the strength quickly drop down to almost nothing. Another cycle of airplane mode momentarily solves the issue. This problem is quite annoying; not only am I missing some calls and texts, but my battery is draining much faster than it used to. Any ideas what could be up?
Photo of Andrew Lit

Andrew Lit

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,792 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Is it switching to and from LTE during these drops in reception?
Photo of Andrew Lit

Andrew Lit

No, it's staying on H+ the entire time.
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 64,498 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Consider downloading a battery tester from Google Play.

Your battery might be the cause of the problem, and not just a symptom. A few test cycles will either condemn or clear the battery.
Photo of Andrew Lit

Andrew Lit

Ran some tests, the battery seems fine...
Photo of Daniel Kim

Daniel Kim, Mobile Master

• 34,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Andrew, have you tried Bob's suggestion about the battery? Does it happen when your phone is low on battery by any chance? with my grandparents phones they tend to lose signal once they are low on battery.
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 64,498 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Since battery seems OK, I would try testing the signal.

Bars on the phone are just barely decorations. Download from Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...

or something similar. Gives fairly instanteneous readings for voice and data in -dBm units. As long as you show less than 100 -dBm, you should be able to communicate. You are looking to see fluctuations and drops in your case.

I would try a factory reset, and re-test the signal strength.

If that doesn't work, send it in for warranty replacement/repair if you've only had it for 6-7 months.

Quick look on the net shows mixed opinions on Moto G signal strength, but no major hollering.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 67,450 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Another option, dial: *#*#4636#*#* (this code works on some Samsung and HTC devices and should work with Motorola), if the code works, select 'Phone Information'. Scroll down until you see the heading 'Set preferred network type'. Select 'WCDMA Only' or 'LTE, WCDMA' from the dropdown menu, (you may have to scroll through the menu). Reboot phone after making your network selection.

This method stops the phone from scanning redundant networks if listed as GSM\WCDMA\LTE for example. Koodo doesn't operate on a GSM network, so GSM can be removed.

If you're in an area that has less than stellar LTE coverage, opting for 'WCDMA Only' should help stabilize signal reception and save battery power because the phone isn't scanning needlessly for networks that it cannot find or use reliably.

If all else fails, follow Bob's recommendation for warranty repair.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.