Moto G 2015 - MMS APN

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I have a new Moto G 2015 and I would like to take advantage of picture messaging, but I do not want my phone having access to cell data except for allowing picture messages through (in and out). 

I read the excellent guide on this subject, and I did add two APNs - one for internet, and one only for MMS.  The problem I am having with the Moto G is that the default Koodo APN cannot be edited/deleted.  So, even if I select the new Koodo internet APN it defaults back to the original APN.

So, next I think my only option is to root my phone, delete the original APN, add the two APNs as per the guide, in order to turn cell data on only for MMS.

My question is, has anyone tried this with the Moto G?  My phone is new, so I understand the warranty will immediately be void?  I am willing to risk this if the above works, but I don't want to do it if it doesn't so if anyone has it working I'd love to know.

I have set all my apps to restrict background data, and made sure that Google Play only updates over wifi.  I ran a test and sent a picture message by just turning cell data on long enough to send the text, then off again.  On my phone it shows that I used 1 mb of data, which is about 1% of my monthly data plan :) I think this is because my phone doesn't know that the data wouldn't have been charged by Koodo, so I shouldn't worry about this?  I have set a data cap on my phone also.

Anyway, this is my first cell phone - imagine - so I am new to all of this but trying to take advantage of picture messaging if possible.  Creating the two APNs seems like the best option if there is any way of getting this working with the Moto G 2015.  Thanks in advance for your input :)
Photo of DS

DS

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Or you could add the $2/month data block that blocks normal data but allows you to still send/receive MMS
Photo of DS

DS

In the guide that I read I think it says that the data block has to be turned off?  So this wouldn't work?
Photo of Mitchell Palmater

Mitchell Palmater

• 12,996 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Forget about rigging your apn settings up to make it work, just use normal apn settings and add the picture message data block as ahmad suggested.
Photo of DS

DS

Oh, I see - it's a selective data block?  not complete...  I didn't realize you could do this.  Thanks for the idea!

If I wanted to save the $2 a month would rooting/APN settings work?  :) 
(Edited)
Photo of Mitchell Palmater

Mitchell Palmater

• 12,996 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I wouldnt void your warranty to save 24 dollars a year.
Im sure it's possible, it's just whether or not it's worth the trouble for you.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.