Moto G (2013) 5.1 Update

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I was wondering if anyone has got the 5.1 update on their Moto G (2013) phone. I have seen a few people online who say that they have with Koodo but I have not. Still on 5.02.
Photo of Guzman

Guzman

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 103,858 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If there's no official update released yet in settings, then it's not out yet. Maybe some people rooted they device to have the software running
Photo of Guzman

Guzman

The ones I have seen (on Reddit) say that they just checked for update under settings and got the notification. One guy even mentioned his wife got the update but nothing for him. No mention of rooting. It was about a month ago. I know it's an old phone and not newsworthy......but I am trying to squeeze some more life out of it.
Photo of Spence

Spence

• 8,354 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Check that this is up to date in your apps.
Since you already have Lolipop you may not  need this , but it is worth checking.

In order for Moto G devices to get the Android Lollipop update, they must have the latest version of the Motorola Software Updates Application installed. To check the version information or to get the latest update: In Google Play Store app, select the Menu button, then select My Apps. Under Installed apps, you will see Motorola Update Services.
Photo of Guzman

Guzman

First off thanks for the reply guys.......I have updated all of my other software including the Motorola Update Service.......at least it tells me it is up to date. Just wondering if some had their Moto G 2013 updated or knew of someone.......or if it will be a unicorn and we will never get it on Koodo or Telus. On the same thread on Reddit they said Virgin Canada has the update for their phone out.
Photo of 5s

5s

• 7,186 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'm thinking that if Virgin rolled the update out to its Customers, Koodo will do same for its Customers.
I mean there is nothing to stop people from porting to Virgin to get the update, if its that important to them, right?
And certainly with the never ending Ontario price increases and total stagnet
lacking need, to actually compete in this province, what's it going to cost you to port over, an extra .12 cents per month?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,584 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Porting to Virgin to get the update? Sorry that's not how updates work bud, wherever the phone was purchased is who updates the phone nomatter what carrier you bring the phone to.
Photo of 5s

5s

That hurts
Photo of 5s

5s

My motto g1 is still 502 and up to date
Photo of Guzman

Guzman

Thanks for that 5s......good to know I am not alone. Hopefully we get it soon.
Photo of Spence

Spence

I just checked my sons Koodo Moto G 1st gen and its still at 5.0.2 and up to date as well.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting anymore updates to the phone though since it's way past the 18 month update period of devices, heck the thing 3 years old so if you get anymore updates other than security updates I'd be extremely surprised as well as Lenovo isn't even updating last year's Moto X any further they've said. I have a feeling Motorola is taking a nose dive with updates now that Lenovo runs them as Telus has an update for the new Moto X Play scheduled for mid December and it's still not 6.0 it's just an update to 5.1.1, so definitely not the Motorola we had gotten to know under Google who updated the Moto lines within a month of the release to Nexus devices and even beat some Nexus devices and those times are gone as Lenovo screws up one of the best selling points the Moto line carried which was quick updates..... December Lmfao they're getting as bad as Samsung for frig Sakes SMH.

Sorry got a little side tracked but like I said I wouldn't expect any updates to the Moto G 1st Gen any longer and if you do then that will definitely be there elastic and you'll be lucky at that.
Photo of 5s

5s

I'm with you on that 100%.

I forgot all about Lenovo, last I read they had to await regulatory approvals.
I guess I lucked out getting a G3 update during my 15 day return policy. I guess the next one, come next year now

To bad, Motorola/Google combo was tops in updates.

Oh well, to bad, so sad another one down
(Edited)
Photo of Guzman

Guzman

First off.....disclaimer.....I am no expert and probably have no clue what I am talking about. The updates come from Google.......then the phone manufacturer......then passed on to the carrier. Since some carriers around the world (USA, Europe and other areas) have updated their Moto G (2013) phones.....the XT1032.....my phone......to 5.1.1......I am guessing that Motorola (Lenovo) has passed on the update to carriers and that the issue may be with Koodo/Telus. Other versions of the Moto G 2013 (like the one with an SD slot that Wind sold and was also sold at Staples) have also been updated.

So maybe there is an issue with the update and the Telus network and it was pulled after a few people reportedly got it.

Again, just my uneducated take on things.....mixed with some wishful thinking.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

The one that Staples and wind carried was the 2nd Gen was it not, not the 2013 model (1st gen)
Also Koodo wouldn't be holding it back it would be Motorola holding it back and each carrier is different so Motorola has to make a different version for each and every carrier and chances are that the ppl reporting they got it have unlocked versions they are using on Koodo and think that means they get the update from Koodo as many ppl think it depends on what carrier your on not what actual model they have so that's probably where the confusion is. Motorola probably updated the unlocked model and then Lenovo took over and fired all of Motorola software team so the updates for carrier models got scrapped.

If Lenovo / Motorola has come out and said they arnt even updating last year's Moto X carrier models any further there's no way they're going to update a 3 year old phone so wishful thinking Unfourtunatley isn't going to do any good, the Moto G is so cheap just buy the newest model or better yet the Moto X Play which is a top notch mid range device so it's better than the Moto G in every way especially camera, the camera is pretty damn impressive from my use of it and looks nearly as good as my Galaxy S6 Edge and battery life is the best of any phone Koodo carries, grab it you won't be disappointed....... Other than slow updates from what we were use to with Motorola the past 2 years.
Photo of Spence

Spence

Wishful thinking is ok..
All we can do is wait.
Photo of 5s

5s

Koodo never put a Koodo App on the motto g1.
(Edited)
Photo of Beth Standen

Beth Standen

• 2,300 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Myself and both my sons have the Moto G 1st generation and my one son got an update about a month ago. I got an update about 2 weeks ago and my other son hasn't received his yet. My sons are on Telus and I'm on Koodo.
Photo of Beth Standen

Beth Standen

I forgot to mention, my phone originally came from Telus before I switched to Koodo so not sure if that makes a difference? So all 3 of our phones came from Telus but we bought them at different times.
Photo of Spence

Spence

What update did you get ?
Was it a security update?
or the 5.1.1 update?
Check what version of Android you now have,  is it Android 5.1.1?
Photo of Beth Standen

Beth Standen

Photo of Spence

Spence

Where did you get the phones from Beth? Koodo or Telus or somewhere else?
Photo of Beth Standen

Beth Standen

Actually, all 3 phones came from Telus.
Photo of Guzman

Guzman

Well that is good news!.....and goes along with what I have read online. Telus/Koodo have the update and have pushed it out to some, but not most it seems. I am assuming since very few have this update, it is not a case of the vast majority of owners having something disabled that is causing the the update to not come through.

Again, thanks for the replies
Photo of stephan seguin

stephan seguin

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think only the moto g 4G /LTE is getting 5.1 3G stays at 5.02
Photo of Guzman

Guzman

The only one Telus sold was the XT1032,,,,,,as far as I know, I am assuming that is the one Beth and her sons have.
Photo of Beth Standen

Beth Standen

Yes, that is the model we have (the very first moto g)
Photo of stephan seguin

stephan seguin

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi I got this info from here https://motorola-global-portal-en-ca....
hope nis helps
Photo of Guzman

Guzman

Well the update is up (5.1, don't think we are getting 5.1.1)....don't notice a huge difference. Pretty smooth, although it was not too slow before. I do notice that it uses more RAM than before, but maybe it has better management and the extra RAM use at startup idle makes it work smoother.

So mystery solved, the XT1032 will not be the left behind orphan of the 1st Gen Moto Gs.
Photo of mb1952

mb1952

• 564 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have had the 5.1 for three days now. I noticed a strange letter or symbol on my strength bars for two days, but they are gone tonight. And for two days when I have listened to my downloaded news clips through the ES file folders, they suddenly stop after two files. If I touch the start button, they continue. That is troubling behavior. Can't tell for sure yet but the phone sometimes seems to cut them off before they are finished too. And in a phone call today, twice the call sort of dropped. It didn't drop exactly, it just went dead for thirty seconds and then we were able to talk again. That could have been on the other person's phone but it is a new happening for me right after the update. Except for the files not playing consecutively, nothing is for certain.
Photo of 5s

5s

I've had a 2 calls of late, that went silent like you describe, then two of us saying can you hear me, then continuing the conversation.

So yours may not be from the update, as mine is a 5s and it happen twice with a Rogers land line. Just thought I'd throw this out, for what it worth
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.