Lumia 520 and wireless settings questions

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered

Just activated (still waiting on the number port) a Koodo 520 on the $15 base plan with 500 minutes and 1GB boosters.

Some WiFi/data questions for the gurus:

1) When wifi and 3G are both connected, does the wifi network automatically get used or should I turn off the 3G? I want to minimize 3G use to only when away from a wifi network

2) Do I need to add "internet apn" and "mms apn" in the mobile network settings or is selecting "Koodo" enough?

3) If I manually turn off 3G, will regular texts still work (send/receive) or must I leave 3G on?

4) I have noticed that the 3G symbol on the top bar changes from H+ to H after turning 3G on and off. The H+ shows up for a short time and then it goes back to H. Are prepaid users limited to slower HSPA data speeds? I see this even with 5 bars full signal.

Thanks all.
Photo of Chris

• 2,056 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 137,132 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wifi will automatically be used for anything that will work over a wifi connection (certain things, like picture messaging, will not).
A koodo phone will be factory programmed with the correct apn settings for both internet and mms.
Regular texts will still work with data turned off, but if you set the phone to 2G only it won't connect to koodo. This is because koodo does not have a 2G network.
Photo of Chris

• 2,056 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
According to the windows phone online manual the "H" symbol on the top indicates HSDPA/HSUPA. The phone indicator starts off with "H+" but then quickly changes to just "H". This makes me believe the data speed is being dropped down.

Can anyone confirm what data speeds prepaid is allowed to connect with?
Photo of Yannick

• 43,998 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris, everything but LTE!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.