Looking to trade-in my Blackberry 9320, but am wondering if the credits could be used to pay off the Blackberry itself, not a new phone?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Hi there. So, just a bit of background info:
I have an existing phone tab on Koodo, with a remaining balance of -$129. My talk & text plan (& tab) is an older one that's no longer offered, but I'm looking to upgrade to a no-tab data plan with a different phone. I currently have a Blackberry Curve 9320 and am looking to upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy S III. My partner has one of the latter, still in perfect working condition, it's just locked to Rogers right now. My phone is also still in perfect working condition, just has a few minor scrapes on the edges, all only affecting the visual appearance slightly.

Now for the questions:
For the trade-in program, I understand that they'll have to decide what my phone is worth, and that it will be issued as a credit toward getting a new phone. Since I already have the new phone, could the credit just go toward paying off the old phone instead? I've looked through the forums and it's clear that I couldn't use the credits toward the monthly bill. So, if I can't use the credits toward paying off the old phone, then it makes the most sense just to sell it and use the cash to pay off the tab. It'd be nice if Koodo could do it for me though. =]

Also, because Koodo still sells the Blackberry 9320 new for $150 retail or $129 on the tab, how much of a credit would I expect to get from the trade-in? They sell them Certified pre-owned as well, for $120 retail or $99 on the tab. Should I be expecting close to that amount back in credit, or just some small (under $50) kind of thing?

Many thanks to those who reply with some helpful answers! =]
Photo of Lisa-Beth McLean

Lisa-Beth McLean

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Myke

Myke

• 45,090 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The trade in credits are only put towards new phones, nothing else. You will need to wait until the trade in is looked at before getting a value amount.

Lisa-Beth McLean

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, but I'm gonna throw some more questions out there now. Does the carrier have to send my phone somewhere to determine the value? If so, can I get my phone back if I decide not to trade it in?
Photo of Myke

Myke

It's determined at the store. All trade ins are final. So you have to decide if you want to do the trade in or not.

Lisa-Beth McLean

But I could take it somewhere like Futureshop (where I got it) and they could tell me just by looking at it, before I make the decision whether to trade it in or not?
Photo of Myke

Myke

Only Koodo Shops do the trade ins. They can tell you the value before hand. I wouldn't expect very much though.

Lisa-Beth McLean

Okay, thanks =]
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Mobile Shop just launched our new trade in program with a company called Phobio so that's always an option. Unfortunately while it still cannot be used off your old Tab since that's tied to your Koodo account and not our point of sale, it can be used for new phones, accessories, or SMP!

To be honest though, you're better off selling it for cash. You'll probably get more.

Any particular reason why you're going No Tab on an S III? The new Tab system pays off your phone faster, adds a 24 month guarantee, and you can keep an under 30 plan if you stay with Tab S. Just a thought.
(Edited)

Lisa-Beth McLean

Thanks. Yeah, I figured I'd get more just from selling it. And I'm looking into the no-tab plan because my partner recently got a new phone, and his old one, an S III, is still in perfect condition. So chances are, it'd work out better if I just bought it off him. =]
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Well in that case you don't actually need to do anything about your Tab! All you have to do is make sure he unlocks his S III, get a micro SIM card from a Koodo shop or authorized retailer, put it in his phone, and away you go.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.