Local callers get a long distance warning message

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Callers to my 604 number from 604 numbers get a long distance warning. How do I get this corrected? It is clearly a Koodo problem...
Photo of iainkirk

iainkirk

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • annoyed

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 113,486 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Add 1 to start making calls.
Phone doesn't know what plan you have, so it's always give you warning for possibility of LD calls.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 91,346 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just because a person has a 604 area code, does not mean they are within your local calling area. The 604 area code covers considerable territory, from Powell River to Hope. Not all of these communities are able to call one another without long distance tolls.

Photo of iainkirk

iainkirk

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
But Koodo's website says otherwise: (the geographic area associated with your phone number)

An incoming call is a call received on your Koodo phone. Your incoming local calling area is the geographic boundary associated with your phone numbers. All calls received within that geographic boundary are local. All calls receive outside that geographic boundary are considered long distance.

Anyway, this situation is occurring with calls made from the same town!!!
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 91,346 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I can guarantee that a phone call from Victoria to Fort Nelson, both in the 250 area code, is not a local call. "Geographic areas associated with your phone number" are traditionally known as exchanges, and are defined by the second set of three numbers in your phone number.  Depending on where folks obtained their number they may, or may not be in the same calling area. If you want to get some idea of the exchanges within the 604 area code, have a look here

So, it might be possible, for example that three users in Fort Langley may have different calling areas depending on where they purchased their phone and service. A purchase in Surrey, Langley or Abbottsford may all be issued a number that allows local calls between the three in Fort Langley, but depending on the individual may be long distance to Surrey, Langley or Abbottsford.