LG Optimus P970 won't charge

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
My LG Optimus P970 won't charge anymore. I've tried different chargers and different batteries. It used to only charge if I held kept the cord at a certain spot/angle in the USB port, but now it doesn't work at all. How much does it cost to fix this?
Photo of sexy_rexy_fan

sexy_rexy_fan

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of justin

justin

• 1,488 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sexy Rexy fan,

Is your phone still under warranty? Have you called customer service and asked about it?

If it's not under warranty, then the cost to buy a micro usb jack, the correct one that is, is gonna be less than 10 dollars at a parts store. Sounds like the jack is loose.

The cost however, to have it resoldered onto the main board of your phone including disassembly and reassembly, will be the most expensive. My local repair guy charges about $40 an hour. I have to say, if you've never done any light electronics repair, or soldered anything, that you probably shouldn't attempt to take it apart yourself, as there are many delicate parts that can snap or get damaged if you're not careful.

Another option that i've seen used, is to remove the battery and charge it with a universal charger that either plugs into regular wall outlet or usb jack in computer.
I have one of these and it works on almost any small lithium battery found in cellphones and cameras.

Check it out ! it's like $5 with really expensive shipping LOL.
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Universal-M...

Good luck
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 203,736 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The issue you described is consideted physical damage and will not be covered. It's caused usually by playing with your phone while it's plugged in and it stresses the micro USB port until it snaps off the main circuit board. Chances are it will be cheaper to buy a new phone than it will to send it away and fix it.
Photo of justin

justin

• 1,488 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree with you Kid, using your phone while charging has it's risks.

I'm using portable power packs to charge my phone when it's low, but I know if I put both the phone and the charger in my pocket, while connected together, its also risky. I've also dropped my phone while connected to a portable charger and i was lucky that the tip of the cable took the hit and bent versus my usb jack on my MOTO RAZR, which has an internal built in battery. So I know if i wreck it, i'm done.

Btw, if anyone needs a good portable power pack to use as auxiliary power, I recommend the Energizer power to go, usb rechargeable, and come in different amp requirements. They use the "tips for life" program and give you unlimited replacement tips , 2 per year, and you just pay for shipping.

Sexy Rexy Fan,

There are more and more cellphone repair shops popping up everywhere, but the repair will be quite high, probably > $100. Your optimus black was initally worth $300 retail, and can be found now used or new for approx $100 or less in classified online ads like craigslist.

However, it still doesn't hurt to shop around, as you may find an experienced individual who might be able to fix it for less. The inexpensive universal charger option is still a good one until you find a more permanent solution
Photo of Sethu Nath

Sethu Nath

• 62 Points
The battery charging problem not relates to USB port.I thing it relates to battery or hardware.This problem comes only when battery having heat. If the battery is cold no issue and battery is charging properly.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Hey Sethu This question has already been answered over a month ago, also it is related to the USB port because when they wiggle the cord a certain way it will charge for a second then not charge when the cord moves again which has nothing to do with heat at all.
Photo of Theseventensplit

Theseventensplit

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
That's rediculous, the phone has such a terrible battery that half way through my day I have to plug it in, but i still need to use it, this is a design flaw, not something the user should be at fault for.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Not really a design flaw as all older low end Android devices are like that. Only buy high end Android devices, you get what you pay for with smartphones

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.