Lg g5 software update?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
Does anyone know what the updates ares that are currently downloading on my LG G5? It's been downloading for about an hour and still only at 40%.
Photo of ladybugg

ladybugg

• 296 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

• 33,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
All updates have notes that you can view before downloading. You could also google the update number and see what it tells you. I'll look more into it for you and if I can find anything I'll reply again. Cheers
(Edited)
Photo of James

James

• 2,642 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
That is fine if it waits, mine started downloading with out asking me.
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 63,772 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Software updates don't just start by themselves. You have to agree to a couple things before installing. You or someone else would've had to hit install or install overnight for it to go.
(Edited)
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 65,668 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The update said it was added things to improve the screen/LCD.
The update took only about 20 minutes for me. If it is stuck at 40% you may need to restart your device and see if that fixes things.
Photo of James

James

• 2,682 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
My update took hours on 25/10 VDSL.
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

I'm on 150/50 so thats most likely why it downloaded faster for me.
And this new ups date thats happening now ? Any one knkw what it is for ? I font want it if its going to change my phone all up
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 109,454 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wha update is rolling out to your phone Jonathan?
93% ill re comment when its done but it did say when i changed the auto install setting that once it installs the new update i cant go back . and this is why im asking
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

I tried looking it here : https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/upcoming-software-updates

But don't know what this update does. 
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 100,548 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You can always try contacting LG directly or google if there's a change log anywhere but that's unlikely.
So could it be a hack scam?
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,986 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
They properly haven't updated it, or the list omitted the G5. The information on the list was properly updated "after the fact", not "incoming".

@Jonathan: it seemed to be a legit update. Another customer also asked about it today.
(Edited)
Ok thanks guys
Photo of ladybugg

ladybugg

Anything new or is this just another security / bug fix update? Mine is at 83%, it's taking hours just to download it...
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 45,986 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I think It was a security update. Google has released lots of security related to KRACK and other things.
Ive bin reading up and A few ppl in the Lg G5 world are saying they thinks its un likly to be a Oreo up date but that was a couple months ago
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 100,548 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Far too small to be Oreo. May as well wait and see.
Ive got a email in to Lg about it. Ill post tomorrow with the their answer
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

Likely a security update. Koodo has released a bunch in the past couple of weeks.
https://community.koodomobile.com/koo...
In less you know what it is there is no point point in speculation
Photo of ladybugg

ladybugg

I don't see anything new or different now that it's finished, so I assume it to be a security update... still android version 7.0.
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

You can go into your settings, about phone, software info, and see what security patch your on. This should give a good idea wether it was one or not.
Photo of ladybugg

ladybugg

Says January 1, 2018
Its was a Android 7.0 update
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 206,438 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Just make sure that it's actually still downloading and not installing the update if your going to turn it off or you can totally screw the device up. Make sure your battery is charged and it's always best to update your device with a full battery while plugged in.
Photo of Bryndis Swan

Bryndis Swan

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My LG G5 is mid-update and now stalled at the security start up.  The knock code is not registering and is showing 30/30 attempts left even though I've entered the code several times. The squares respond with a flash and I know the code is correct since it worked yesterday.  I'm wondering about a hard restart / reboot but am afraid to screw up the installation.
Photo of Edmond Lee Talbott

Edmond Lee Talbott

• 60 Points
So how do I fix it
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 94,342 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
What exact issue do you have?
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

If it screws the installation, you'll juste have to start it once again so no big deal!
Photo of Paul Alexandre

Paul Alexandre

• 72 Points
What does this update actually do though? Anyone notice a difference? Any risk it could make anything worse?
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 58,710 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
My phone was having some bad burn in issues with the screen and the update has seemed to make the burn in not nearly as bad as it was before.
What the real purpose of the update was im not entirely sure. Havent seen any negative side effects yet though.
Photo of Alexander Perez

Alexander Perez

• 60 Points
I know part of the update was to prevent spoofing in Pokémon GO, irrelevant but I know that much haha but for me, my phone dies a bit faster.
(Edited)