LG G4 H812, I just purchased this phone and discovered it had no FM Radio App

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
LG G4 H812, I just purchased this phone and discovered it had no FM Radio App. I contacted LG support and they confirm that it had the FM Radio chip but it is the carriers who chose to enable it by software or not. Why has Koodo chosen not to enable the FM Radio? My LG Optimus Black has one and it work great.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • disappointed

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

• 33,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I dont think anyone has a solid answer as to why providers have decided to disable the feature for this phone. Other customers are having the same issues. Maybe you could start an "IDEA" thread in the forum to catch the attention of Koodo to maybe get it working.
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 66,698 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's a big seller in the Asian markets, but in NorthAmerica, more profitable to sell data for those who want to stream. Some carriers not Koodo) even boast of offering free audio streaming under some plans, $$$ for others. Talk about a racket.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken

Nice to see some comment on the subject.

I read that in the USA there's a movement a foot to get various carriers to enable them and at least one has agreed to. Some people felt in a emergency situation where data was down information could still be received from local FM radio stations using the smartphones FM Radio app. 
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,228 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This topic was discussed previously where FM radio is disabled by request by some carriers, particularly by carriers across our border to the south. I own numerous devices where FM radio has remained intact: (Lumia 520, Lumia 635, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Ace 2x, HTC One M8, One M9 and HTC Raider (Bell)). It appears Samsung did away with FM radio on their 'S' and later Note series devices as there was no FM radio on my Galaxy S2x. Oddly, Apple has never seen the need to incorporate FM radio in an iPhone.

I don’t have much information on LG other than the LG G2 had FM radio.

One scenario I mentioned in the other post, was that if a powerful thunderstorm or winter storm were to knock out power to your neighbourhood and takes out the cell tower that services the area, you'd essentially have few ways to obtain updated weather information other than perhaps the AM/FM radio in your car or a portable backup radio.

The only plausible explanation and as Bob mentions is that carriers want customers to use data to stream content to their devices which, in turn, generates revenue for the company. I’m not against that. On the other hand, I honestly can’t think of a justifiable reason why carriers feel the need to eliminate FM radio. I also read the article where there's been a push for carriers to re-enable FM radio.

Carriers can still offer streaming content to their customers and generate revenue because FM radio is limited to what you can listen to. The decision by carriers to capriciously decide that customers don’t need FM radio in their smartphones is what irks me. FM radio is an indispensable feature and it could be a lifesaver, in my opinion.

Enable Free Radio
https://community.koodomobile.com/koo...
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,634 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm with Rikkster here. I don't use FM on my phones because I don't like the listening options in my area. But, it wouldn't hurt to have it enabled in case of emergency.

I don't use 911 either but wouldn't like to have it disabled.
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

I agree. Would be nice to have the choice.
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,404 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
HTC seems to get away with FM radios in their phones. However it uses your headphones as the antenna, so you can't listen to it through speakers.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,186 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Or you could use a double ended 3.5 mm stereo cable. One end into the phone, the other into an audio or auxiliary input (if equipped) on a powered speaker system. On one of my HTC's, there's a setting where audio can be played through the phones' speakers provided headphones are plugged in. Not sure if the M8 or M9 have the feature, not near them at the moment.
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

My Dell Streak allowed this as well.
Photo of Jru Gordon

Jru Gordon

• 9,144 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
you could always download an app that plays radio stations
Photo of Ken

Ken

Yes that is true but then it must be steamed using your data. The built in Fm Radio does not require data it just pick up on the available local radio broadcasts.
Photo of Lloyd Willett

Lloyd Willett

• 3,688 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Koodo should follow videotron in Quebec free streaming music they don't charge you for listening to your music by using data
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

This idea has been floated around before but Koodo doesn't seem interested in pursuing it anytime soon.
Photo of Ken

Ken

Here in Canada we're to polite to get things changed. We need to float our request with more that a polite smile.
Photo of Jay Why

Jay Why

• 1,994 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
that's the one thing that I look for when I get a phone. I use FM in the gym since the TV volume to broadcast through FM. I sometime like to watch the news when I'm working out, or the hockey game.....golf canucks golf
Photo of Prakash Shukla

Prakash Shukla

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I  bought LG G4 from koodo and I got surprised that it does not have FM Radio. How can enable radio chip and use FM tuner using headphones antenna?
Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

It is not set up for use in Canada. Read the whole post and you will get some understanding. You will have to use an Fm Radio data enabled app for radio until things change. It's not Koodo it's the regulations somewhere

Read this.
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/...
(Edited)
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,086 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
"...it's the regulations somewhere."

It's actually a decision of the manufacturer and / or carrier to deactivate the chip. It may be precipitated by the fact that wired earphones are needed as an antenna, and the industry is moving to bluetooth, or any of a number of other reasons, but it is not a regulatory issue.
Photo of geoffroy.men

geoffroy.men

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
"Fm Radio data enabled app" ??? Are you kidding? This doesn't exist. If it's over FM it's not over Data. You probably meant, just forget about FM, use streaming instead.
Photo of geoffroy.men

geoffroy.men

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is unacceptable. We need  to pressure carriers and OEM's to keep seeling us devices that have been sabotaged into missing an essential component. Please visit http://freeradioonmyphone.ca/take-action