LG G3 D851 - LTE connected but not working

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
I own an LG G3 D851 (unlocked).

I have inserted my Koodo SIM card into the phone.

As far as I know, this phone has the compatible frequencies for the Koodo network.

I am able to send and receive calls and text messages no problem.

I set up my APN using the recommended settings for Android.

Now, I am able to connect to the LTE network - my signal bars are full, and "LTE" is displayed on my status bar.  There are blinking up and down arrows.

However, when actually using the internet, my phone has no connection, in some circumstances.

It seems that whenever I turn on the Wifi for a period of time, then turn it off, the phone remains connected to the LTE network but cannot actually use the network - as evidenced by the "LTE" and blinking arrows in the status bar but webpages failing to load.  After a few hours, the phone seems to spontaneously connect to the network and I can use the internet on the phone.

The phone also fails to send and receive picture messages when the internet cannot be accessed.

My SIM card is 2 months old.

What is the problem?  How can I fix this?
Photo of Joe

Joe

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So for the picture issue, network data is required to send picture messages. So that's that issue.

You may not be I a great LTE area, under network settings try turning off LTE
(Edited)
Photo of Joe

Joe

Alright, here's what I did.

I changed my "Network mode" from "GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto" to "GSM/WCDMA auto."

Now, everything works perfectly.

But, it just doesn't seem right that I am not getting LTE speeds.  I am located in the heart of a capital city in Canada.  How could it be that I cannot connect to the LTE network?
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This version of the g3 was originally meant for t mobile. It may be looking for LTE on a different frequency band and be getting confused.

There is a Canadian and an AT&T version that would probably be a better fit.
Photo of Daryl Pinksen

Daryl Pinksen

• 60 Points
I am looking to replace my LG G3 852 and am considering buying an unlocked 851 At&T version. Any updates on compatibility issues with Koodo network? 
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 62,208 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
852 is Canadian version, 851 is T-Mobile, 850 is AT&T. I have the T-Mobile version which works fine on Koodo, including carrier updates to Android 6.0. The AT&T version should be fine as well.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3-6294.php

https://www.mylgphones.com/lg-g3-model-numbers.html

www.willmyphonework.net
(Edited)
Photo of Joe

Joe

UPDATE:

Something strange happened.

I switched from GSM/WCDMA auto to GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto and it reconnected to the 4G network instantly and I have now been able to use the internet on 4G.

I confirmed this by checking my download/upload speeds using speedtest.net.  When connected using the GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto setting, my speeds are substantially faster than they were on the GSM/WCDMA auto setting.

I am just afraid that this is going to happen again, and I will have the annoyance of having to switch back and forth all the time.
(Edited)